Posted to user@cassandra.apache.org by Jens Rantil <je...@tink.se> on 2016/09/11 21:55:14 UTC

Re: Cassandra and Kubernetes and scaling

Hi Aiman,

I noticed you never got any reply. This might be of interest:
http://blog.kubernetes.io/2016/07/thousand-instances-of-cassandra-using-kubernetes-pet-set.html

Cheers,
Jens

--
Jens Rantil
Backend engineer

Email: jens.rantil@tink.se
Phone: +46 708 84 18 32
Web: www.tink.se

Facebook <https://www.facebook.com/#!/tink.se> Linkedin
<http://www.linkedin.com/company/2735919?trk=vsrp_companies_res_photo&trkInfo=VSRPsearchId%3A1057023381369207406670%2CVSRPtargetId%3A2735919%2CVSRPcmpt%3Aprimary>
 Twitter <https://twitter.com/tink>

Re: Cassandra and Kubernetes and scaling

Posted by Jens Rantil <je...@tink.se>.
David,

Were you the one who wrote the article? I just finished reading it. It's
excellent! I'm also excited that running mutable infrastructure on
containers is maturing. I have a few specific questions you (or someone
else!) might be able to answer.

1. In the article you state

> We deployed 1,009 minion nodes to Google Compute Engine
<https://cloud.google.com/compute/> (GCE), spread across 4 zones, running a
custom version of the Kubernetes 1.3 beta.

Did you deploy a custom Kubernetes on GCE because 1.3 wasn't available? Or
was that because Pet Sets alpha feature was disabled on Google Cloud
Platform's hosted Kubernetes[1]?

[1] http://serverfault.com/q/802437/37237

2. The article stated

> Yes we deployed 1,000 pets, but one really did not want to join the party!

Do you have any speculation why this happened? By default Cassandra doesn't
allow concurrent nodes joining the cluster, but Pet Sets are added serially
by definition, right?

3. The article doesn't mention downscaling. Do you have any idea on how
that would/could be done? I consider myself a Kubernetes/container noob. It
there an equivalent of `readinessProbe` for shutting down containers? Or
would an external agent have to be deployed that orchestrates `nodetool
decommission`s an instance and then reduces the number of replicas by one
for the Pet Set?

4. For a smaller number of Cassandra nodes. Would you feel comfortable
running it on Kubernetes 1.3? ;)

Cheers,
Jens

Posted by David Aronchick <ar...@gmail.com>.