Posted to docs@httpd.apache.org by Joshua Slive <jo...@slive.ca> on 2001/08/16 17:10:05 UTC

What's the name

Just a couple questions to throw out in the hope of achieving some level
of consistency in the docs:

What is the name of this thing we are documenting?  It previously has been
"Apache".  However, this name now has a broader meaning in the context of
the Apache Software Foundation.  I have been trying to reduce my use of
this term when speaking of this specific project, because I believe it
takes away from other projects in the Foundation.

1. Should we try not to use just "Apache" when referring to the HTTP
Server?

>From my understanding, the proper name of this server is the "Apache HTTP
Server".  I have been using this when possible.  A common short form is
"Apache HTTPD", which is slightly less unwieldy.  However, Chris Pepper
suggested that I should be writing "Apache HTTP server" and "Apache
httpd".  I can seen an argument for these alternative forms.  This brings
up the question:

2. Which of the following should we use in the docs to refer to
this project?
a) Apache HTTP Server
b) Apache HTTP server
c) Apache HTTPD
d) Apache httpd
e) Apache Server
f) whatever.

Any opinions?

--
Joshua Slive
slive@commerce.ubc.ca

Re: What's the name

Posted by Jason Lingohr <ja...@lucid.net.au>.
On Thu, Aug 16, 2001 at 08:10:05AM -0700, Joshua Slive wrote:

> However, Chris Pepper suggested that I should be writing "Apache HTTP
> server" and "Apache httpd".  I can seen an argument for these alternative
> forms.  This brings up the question:

Both, I say.  See below.

> 2. Which of the following should we use in the docs to refer to
> this project?
> b) Apache HTTP server

This when referring to the whole project context...

> d) Apache httpd

This when referring to the actual daemon/binary -- in contexts like, "When
starting the (Apache httpd|httpd) daemon, you..."

(I have deep-seeded personal issues with binary names in caps when the
binary itself isn't, and other things like UNIX (inferring that it's an
acronym) or The Internet instead of the internet -- I'm a journo though,
and admit my pickiness is a terribly irritating trait ;))

Re: What's the name

Posted by Chris Pepper <pe...@mail.reppep.com>.
At 11:09 AM -0400 2001/08/17, Joshua Slive wrote:
>On Thu, 16 Aug 2001, Rodent of Unusual Size wrote:
>
>>  Joshua Slive wrote:
>>  >
>>  > What is the name of this thing we are documenting?
>>  >
>>  > 2. Which of the following should we use in the docs to refer to
>>  > this project?
>>  > a) Apache HTTP Server
>>
>>  That is the one..
>
>Right.  The problem is that this is rather long and stodgey for use in the
>docs.  It has no obvious abbreviation, other than "Apache" (which means
>ASF) or "the Server" (which is ambiguous; does that mean the hardware,
>the OS, or httpd?).
>
>Not to go overboard on this issue, but let's take an example:
>"Anyone who can write to the directory where Apache is writing a log file
>can almost certainly gain access to the uid that the server is started as,
>which is normally root."
>
>"the server" should probably be replaced with "httpd".  But what
>should be done with "Apache"?
>
>I'm starting to lean towards just using "Apache" as the short-form
>of "Apache HTTP Server" wherever the meaning is not ambiguous.

	I like httpd -- I also am bothered by using a name that's
close to an executable, but not quite right. I don't like "Apache" by
itself, because I  think we should try not to cloud the line between
the original (httpd) project, and other Apache projects.

						Chris
--
It's Out! Mastering Mac OS X: <http://www.reppep.com/~pepper/mmosx/>

Re: What's the name

Posted by Joshua Slive <sl...@commerce.ubc.ca>.
On Thu, 16 Aug 2001, Rodent of Unusual Size wrote:

> Joshua Slive wrote:
> >
> > What is the name of this thing we are documenting?
> >
> > 2. Which of the following should we use in the docs to refer to
> > this project?
> > a) Apache HTTP Server
>
> That is the one..

Right.  The problem is that this is rather long and stodgey for use in the
docs.  It has no obvious abbreviation, other than "Apache" (which means
ASF) or "the Server" (which is ambiguous; does that mean the hardware,
the OS, or httpd?).

Not to go overboard on this issue, but let's take an example:
"Anyone who can write to the directory where Apache is writing a log file
can almost certainly gain access to the uid that the server is started as,
which is normally root."

"the server" should probably be replaced with "httpd".  But what
should be done with "Apache"?

I'm starting to lean towards just using "Apache" as the short-form
of "Apache HTTP Server" wherever the meaning is not ambiguous.

Joshua.

Re: What's the name

Posted by Rodent of Unusual Size <Ke...@Golux.Com>.
Joshua Slive wrote:

> What is the name of this thing we are documenting?
>
> 2. Which of the following should we use in the docs to refer to
> this project?
> a) Apache HTTP Server

That is the one..
--