Posted to users@tapestry.apache.org by Peter Stavrinides <P....@albourne.com> on 2009/05/05 09:43:48 UTC

Genreal question on remote authentication with tapestry web applications

Hi everyone,

Basically my question is a very broad one about integrating Tapestry with remote authentication and authorization protocols, if this question is a little off topic I apologize in advance... I have an upcoming project to think about, and thought I should get some expert opinions before I start:

My project will involve a joint venture with a 3rd party to share some data and resources remotely over the web... my conundrum is how to secure these exchanges, which will need to be encrypted. I would like to know what security protocols / libraries people are using with Tapestry, which need not necessarily relate to my specific use case.

Just FYI my set up as follows:
- Apache with SSL (mod_ajp) => Tomcat 6
- Tapestry 5.1 Extranet Portal
- A relational database to store authentication information (this cannot change)
- A Single account for all portlets / web apps
- Mostly use forms based authentication
- Custom written authentication, authorization and session management (written mostly in Tapestry IoC)

Using Web Services is the most obvious to me at the moment, although I don't know much about the security protocols / libraries to use in conjunction and most important how to integrate them into our Tapestry based security API.

Thanks in advance,
Peter