Posted to dev@poi.apache.org by "Andrew C. Oliver" <ac...@apache.org> on 2003/06/27 14:02:11 UTC

[VOTE] - POI TNEF contribution (Mail format)

Hi All,

Please signify your vote for accepting TNEF into POI.  (M$ mail format
reader).  The code should be accepted under the following conditions:

1. All code is legal and free of unacceptable restriction (I'll go do some
footwork, please help with this)

2. GPL license is changed to ASL

3. No illegal dependencies (via ASF policy)

4. contributor agreement for Mr. Rothman is faxed in

5. The code will be automatically backed out if there is no active committer
within a 4 month period.

6. The code must conform to, be made to conform to POI coding conventions
including unit tests within a period of 6 months or it will be considered
inactive and be backed out.

Sorry for being so legalistic, just we're in the hot seat being a project
which is more or less against M$'s interests.  Secondly, we want to ensure
we keep our reputation for quality.

-Andy

PS vote ends Sunday 8:00a EDT (12:00p GMT)
--
Andrew C. Oliver

http://jakarta.apache.org/poi
For Java and Excel, Got POI?

Re: [VOTE] - POI TNEF contribution (Mail format)

Posted by Ryan Ackley <sa...@cfl.rr.com>.
+1

Re: [VOTE] - POI TNEF contribution (Mail format)

Posted by Tetsuya Kitahata <te...@apache.org>.
My humble idea : [ H T M F ]
<<Horrible and *Terrible* Mail Format>>

... This reminds me of "HTML", which format is the default settings
of Outlook .. it's really terrible :-)

P.S. No need to stick to it.

-- Tetsuya (tetsuya@apache.org)

On Fri, 27 Jun 2003 16:19:37 +0200
(Subject: Re: [VOTE] - POI TNEF contribution (Mail format))

Posted by "A. Rothman" <am...@amichais.net>.

Posted by "Andrew C. Oliver" <ac...@apache.org>.

Posted by Tetsuya Kitahata <te...@apache.org>.
Here's my +1.

Welcome Mr. Rothman and TNEF.

-- Tetsuya (tetsuya@apache.org)

P.S. Please re-vote for the naming of TNEF, after this vote would
be ended and accepted.

On Fri, 27 Jun 2003 08:02:11 -0400
(Subject: [VOTE] - POI TNEF contribution (Mail format))

Posted by Danny Mui <da...@muibros.com>.
+1 woohoo more reverse engineering goodness ;)

Posted by "Andrew C. Oliver" <ac...@apache.org>.
On 6/27/03 10:04 AM, "A. Rothman" <am...@amichais.net> wrote:

> The main package is dependant on the JDK alone.
>
> The mime subpackage uses Sun's JavaMail. This is more of an experiment to
> see how it might fit in comfortably with JavaMail, and I'm hoping to see
> some input as to if and where this extension should go.
>
> About the 4 month issue, and as I tried explaining a few mails ago, there is
> an issue of how much work is left to be done...unlike HSSF, whose specs look
> like they will keep on changing and shifting to new records and bytes and
> bits ad infinitum, the TNEF format seems to remain constant. So what happens
> if after some initial work/bugfixes/API changes/tests it settles down to a
> stable release and is happily used by developers but no special enhancements
> are needed? This is most probably just wishful thinking :) but perhaps
> should be considered before tearing it down after a while...just a thought.

Of course, we're pragmatic...  Its just "dump and run" -- the committers all
understand the intent ;-)

Posted by "A. Rothman" <am...@amichais.net>.
JAMES distributes it.

The main TNEF/HMMF(Horrible Mail Mangling Format?)/HTMF package is not
dependant on it, in any case.

Posted by "Andrew C. Oliver" <ac...@apache.org>.

Posted by "Andrew C. Oliver" <ac...@apache.org>.

Posted by Avik Sengupta <av...@apache.org>.
+1

Avik Sengupta <av...@apache.org>

Re: [VOTE] - POI TNEF contribution (Mail format)

Posted by Glen Stampoultzis <gs...@iinet.net.au>.
+1

At 10:02 PM 27/06/2003, you wrote:
>Hi All,
>
>Please signify your vote for accepting TNEF into POI.  (M$ mail format
>reader).  The code should be accepted under the following conditions:
>
>1. All code is legal and free of unacceptable restriction (I'll go do some
>footwork, please help with this)
>
>2. GPL license is changed to ASL
>
>3. No illegal dependencies (via ASF policy)
>
>4. contributor agreement for Mr. Rothman is faxed in
>
>5. The code will be automatically backed out if there is no active committer
>within a 4 month period.
>
>6. The code must conform to, be made to conform to POI coding conventions
>including unit tests within a period of 6 months or it will be considered
>inactive and be backed out.
>
>Sorry for being so legalistic, just we're in the hot seat being a project
>which is more or less against M$'s interests.  Secondly, we want to ensure
>we keep our reputation for quality.
>
>-Andy
>
>PS vote ends Sunday 8:00a EDT (12:00p GMT)
>--
>Andrew C. Oliver
>http://www.superlinksoftware.com/poi.jsp
>Custom enhancements and Commercial Implementation for Jakarta POI
>
>http://jakarta.apache.org/poi
>For Java and Excel, Got POI?

Glen Stampoultzis
gstamp@iinet.net.au