Posted to users@wicket.apache.org by David R Robison <dr...@openroadsconsulting.com> on 2008/11/11 14:42:22 UTC

Question on PageMap

I have been monitoring the size of the pm-null file stored in the Work
directory from Tomcat. I assume that it is the serialized version of the
PageMap. I have an application where, if I navigate from page A to page
B and then back to page A, the pm-null file keeps growing. I understand
that I can set the maximum number of pages saved in the PageMap but I am
not sure what the default is set to. Also, if I am leaving a page with a
form and do not intend to return to that page and submit its values, do
I even need it in the PageMap? Is there a way I can remove my page from
the PageMap when I know I am no longer going to need its values? My end
goal is to try and squeeze more performance out of my application. I
hope this is understandable... any thoughts?

--

David R Robison
Open Roads Consulting, Inc.

Re: Question on PageMap

Posted by Erik van Oosten <e....@grons.nl>.
> I am not sure what the default is set to
Look at the constructors of DiskPageStore.

> My end goal is to try and squeeze more performance out of my application.
If that is your goal you are on the wrong track. The disk store is a
rotating logging based, mostly write-only store. Logging based as new
content is written sequentially from start to end of the file, rotated
because when the file is full it starts at byte 0 thereby overwriting
old pages. It is mostly write-only as only when a user presses the back
button data may be read back from the page store.

Early removal of data will only mean more disk-head movements making it
slower instead of faster.

Regards,
    Erik.

--