Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Julie Ann <ju...@yahoo.com> on 2002/09/20 21:03:25 UTC

[users@httpd] No Luck

 Ok, let's see now...I was using dk3.com's discussion
board ( a modified
version of php) when they switched to Apache. Not only
can I not access my old boards (neither can the forum
members) I also cannot create any new ones. It went
from the Apache "transfer was succesful" page, to
"Forbidden to access this server" to "Cannot find this
server." What's up with that?

cabin.board.dk3.com
beachouse.board.dk3.com
loft.board.dk3.com
castle.board.dk3.com

Is this just a matter of waiting for dk3 to bring up
all my content, or is there anything I can do? Or
should I start searching for new boards? There was no
warning whatsoever.

I've also tried creating and accessing a portal with
dk3, but keep getting THIS error:

Warning: mysql_fetch_row(): supplied argument is not a
valid MySQL result resource in
/home/portal/includes/sql_layer.php on line 271

Warning: mysql_num_rows(): supplied argument is not a
valid MySQL result resource in
/home/portal/includes/sql_layer.php on line 223

Warning: mysql_fetch_row(): supplied argument is not a
valid MySQL result resource in
/home/portal/includes/sql_layer.php on line 271

I'm really at a loss. :P My forum members are pissed
as hell >P :)

Thanks guys!

Julie

Re: [users@httpd] Question on how Apache server switches routinely run

Posted by Joshua Slive <jo...@slive.ca>.
Julie Ann wrote:
> Ok, very sorry. Now, I guess the meat of my APACHE
> question is this. How does a server switch USUALLY go.
> I understand dk3 is down, and I have messaged them,
> but I have no idea what actually happens in an Apache
> server transfer. If someone could explain that (and
> knowing that dk3 is doing the tranfering might help)
> I'd have a better knowledge of Apache. Thanks

[Slightly better question, but ...]

This is sort of like asking, "When people move from one building to
another, how does it usually go?  Do they usually break all the
furniture?"  The answer is, we have no idea what they are doing.  But
they certainly didn't do a very good job if your site is off-line for an
extended period.  Upgrading or changing a server involves careful
planning and implementation.  It sounds like dk3 messed up, but there is
absolutely no way for us to know how.

Joshua.

Re: [users@httpd] Question on how Apache server switches routinely run

Posted by Jacob Coby <jc...@listingbook.com>.
> Ok, very sorry. Now, I guess the meat of my APACHE
> question is this. How does a server switch USUALLY go.
> I understand dk3 is down, and I have messaged them,
> but I have no idea what actually happens in an Apache
> server transfer. If someone could explain that (and
> knowing that dk3 is doing the tranfering might help)
> I'd have a better knowledge of Apache. Thanks

Depends really on what kind of resources you have available.  Basically, you
just want to be sure that the new server is (in no order) 1) working 2)
secured 3) stable.

You can go about this by using new hardware and slowly weening the old
system off, or by running the new server on a different port on the existing
hardware and then finally switching it over to 80 when things seem ok.

Or, you can do what dk3 apparently has done, and just throw caution to the
wind and make the plunge with no idea what you're doing.

-Jacob
http://www.listingbook.com

[users@httpd] Question on how Apache server switches routinely run

Posted by Julie Ann <ju...@yahoo.com>.