Posted to dev@nuttx.apache.org by Gregory Nutt <sp...@gmail.com> on 2019/12/25 14:34:20 UTC

User Email Account

There have been quite a few NuttX users who have been put of by the
volume and content of emails on this list.  December is not quite over
and there have been close to 850 emails so far this month.  And the
majority of the community is only interested is discussion technical
issues and do not even care about the project-oriented content.

So I wonder, would it be good to have a user@nuttx.apache.org mail list
just for user-facing questions?  I see that many other projects have
such an email account.  This would allow people to have simple
discussions about the OS without the organizational/political content.
Such an email would be a replacement for the Google email list.
dev@nuttx.apache.org is not.

Does this sound like good idea?  Or should should we continue to force
users to wad through 100s of emails that they do not way to see?

Re: User Email Account

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
Hi,

The user list is usually only created once a project graduates, but sometimes it is before if there too much noise.

Some reasons for not creating a user account so early:
- User questions tend to be ignored if they are on a seperate list
- Users don’t participate in other activities so you miss out on potential candidates for committers
- Users miss important details e.g how to submit bug reports/make contributions

Other part of the solution is the rate limit yourself and write more careful replies or reply to several emails at once.

Thanks,
Justin

Re: User Email Account

Posted by Gregory Nutt <sp...@gmail.com>.
> Definitely a good idea.
> I believe David also suggested that gitbox messages will be redirected
> to their own pr@ mailing list.
>
> There is just too much traffic in dev@

I tried to create the email account at https://selfserve.apache.org/,
but it says I have can't do that because I am not a PMC member.  We'll
have to ask someone else to do this for us.

I will then update the post at the Google group about the new email list.

Re: User Email Account

Posted by Abdelatif Guettouche <ab...@gmail.com>.
Definitely a good idea.

Re: User Email Account

Posted by "张铎 (Duo Zhang)" <pa...@gmail.com>.

Re: User Email Account

Posted by Gregory Nutt <sp...@gmail.com>.
> (By the way, I expect that once the dust settles, we have consensus on
> a workflow, and we "find our groove," the volume of organizational
> emails should drop substantially and most emails on dev will center
> around technical discussions once again. But it might take a while...)

I expect it to die down as well but there will still be a lot of chatter
about internal policies and releases which will maintain a substantial
volume indefinitely.

Re: User Email Account

Posted by Xiang Xiao <xi...@gmail.com>.
issues@ is a good name, let's follow the convention.

RE: User Email Account

Posted by David Sidrane <Da...@nscdg.com>.
+1

Posted by Adam Feuer <ad...@starcat.io>.
I'm a relatively new NuttX user– just joined as the Apache incubator
started. The amount of emails was a lot, but once I understood what's
happening and why, it was relatively easy to get what I needed. I can pick
out the user/help emails from the robot accounts and the Apache Incubator
discussions. I don't have to tune into all of them.

So maybe all we need is a short statement about what's going on with the
Apache incubator and why everything is all together on the same list? That
should be easy to put in the automatic welcome email that people get when
they join the list.

-adam

--
Adam Feuer <ad...@starcat.io>

Re: User Email Account

Posted by "张铎 (Duo Zhang)" <pa...@gmail.com>.

RE: User Email Account

Posted by David Sidrane <Da...@nscdg.com>.
Hi Justin,

I would say we all understand the argument. We do not agree with how the
problem is solved.

Why are we making everyone drink from the fire hose?

Please help make this work for everyone. Clearly, from the responses, it is
not.

How about we make multiple lists and arrogate them to top level list and
then to an 'all' list?

Like:
Make a list 'all' aggregate all the email;
  Make a list dev just have dev email
	   Make a list github-dev just have github PR, issue email
	   Make a list gitbox-dev just have gitbox PR issue email
  Make a list commits just have commit email
	   Make a list github-commits just have github commits issue email
	   Make a list gitbox-commits...
  Make xys-dev just have xyz email
  Make a list issues just have issues email
	  Make a list github-issues just have github issues email
	  Make a list gitbox- issues just have gitbox issues  email

Then let the people choose. They can start at 'all' and throttle back to a
set that helps them, not drowns them.

That a win-win. ASF get is metrics and the rest of get to "get to work"

If you do not give the community well thought out options - they will bail!

David

Re: User Email Account

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
Hi,

Re: User Email Account

Posted by "张铎 (Duo Zhang)" <pa...@gmail.com>.
Hi, Justin

I think we will just let the gitbox forwarded emails to go to another
mailing list, which we can see on GitHub? No information lost.

And the problem is, actually we are answering the questions on GitHub but
then the answer is sent to this mailing list again with a hard to read
format...

I do not think this is something which splits the community.

Thanks.

Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>于2019年12月31日 周二06:07写道:

Re: User Email Account

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
Hi,

Re: User Email Account

Posted by Abdelatif Guettouche <ab...@gmail.com>.
Hi Justin,

The discussion has shifted more towards redirecting gitbox
notifications to their own mailing list.
Something similar to commit@

Re: User Email Account

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
Hi,

Re: User Email Account

Posted by Xiang Xiao <xi...@gmail.com>.
New JIRA request INFRA create issues@nuttx.apache.org:

Re: User Email Account

Posted by Alin Jerpelea <je...@gmail.com>.
sounds like a good ideea

Re: User Email Account

Posted by Alan Carvalho de Assis <ac...@gmail.com>.

Re: User Email Account

Posted by Abdelatif Guettouche <ab...@gmail.com>.

Re: User Email Account

Posted by Xiang Xiao <xi...@gmail.com>.

Re: User Email Account

Posted by spudaneco <sp...@gmail.com>.

Re: User Email Account

Posted by Adam Feuer <ad...@starcat.io>.
I think what Justin is saying is that it's going to seem like uncomfortable
chaos for a bit, but will eventually settle down into a better state.

From what I know about well-functioning teams, that seems right. Form,

--
Adam Feuer <ad...@starcat.io>

Re: User Email Account

Re: User Email Account

Posted by Gregory Nutt <sp...@gmail.com>.
On 12/25/2019 6:22 PM, Gregory Nutt wrote:
> On 12/25/2019 5:58 PM, Justin Mclean wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>>> I think the idea has been nix'ed by Justin.  So I am not going to
>>> pursue this.  Others may want to buck the system, but I have already
>>> caused enough problems.
>> How so? We already have a seperate commits@nuttx.apache.org list
>> which is working fine from what I can see.
>
> I don't see the relevance of commits@nuttx.apache.org.  It has nothing
> do with the issue that is being addressed for the end user.
>
> The issue for users who just want to ask for help.  For example, "I am
> using and STM32Fxxx-Foobar board.  I enable I2C3 and I get this error
> when trying to communicate with my GPS modem.  Please help me?"  And a
> response might be something like, "Oh, I think you need to enable
> CONFIG_FOOBAR_I2C3_FIXME=y.  Please try that and let me know if that
> solves your problem."
>
> That is lost in the 100's of emails on dev and I see no connect with
> commit@apache.org.  Things are IDLE there now because there is
> workflow requirment document in place and because of the holiday.  But
> when things get functional again, if ever, there will be hundreds of
> messages there to.  None of them related to "How I solve my
> STM32Fxxx-Foobar problem?"
>
> Basic we are making the decision to screw the end user in favor of
> rules and process.  I concede that and will not bring it up again.

Per https://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/, these incubator projects
all have a user or users email list:

ariatosca
cmda
daffodil
druid
flagon
gearpump
gobblin
heron
hivemail
iota
milagro
mrql
mxnet
openaz
pinot
ponymail
quickstep
ratis
s2graph
samoa
sirona
taverna
tuweni
weex
zipkin

That (I think) is most of the incubator projects.  I don't understand
exactly why we are being discriminated against when this is common
practice for most other incubator projects.

Greg

Re: User Email Account

Posted by Gregory Nutt <sp...@gmail.com>.
> Basic we are making the decision to screw the end user in favor of
> rules and process.  I concede that and will not bring it up again.
It is not just this.  We are advocating other things that effect the
end-user and the usability of NuttX.  It is sad, because NuttX has
always been a user-oriented project.

Re: User Email Account

Posted by Gregory Nutt <sp...@gmail.com>.

Re: User Email Account

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
Hi,

Re: User Email Account

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
Hi,

Some previous discussions for you consideration:
https://lists.apache.org/thread.html/a1811e65e31dbd551b2da7429a7617359523cbc5c969827c9a908a6a%40%3Cgeneral.incubator.apache.org%3E
https://lists.apache.org/thread.html/e7be60b4fa3086aaa30eb2b09ec990d807bd8cc03256829fe6651276%401283929842%40%3Cgeneral.incubator.apache.org%3E

I suggest you look though the general@ archives as you find a lot more on this and other subjects.

Thanks,
Justin

Re: User Email Account

Posted by Adam Feuer <ad...@starcat.io>.
I'm ok with the way it is right now– once NuttX graduates from incubator
status we can make changes if needed. I understand Justin's points about
the utility of keeping the lists all in one for now.

cheers
adam

--
Adam Feuer <ad...@starcat.io>