Posted to user@uima.apache.org by Mehdi Alaoui Belghiti <al...@gmail.com> on 2013/03/04 11:26:36 UTC

UIMA [new user]

Hi,
I was looking for a platform that can make me processing files written in
different formats (xml, owl, rdf,...) and extract relevant information. So
i found UIMA.
However, I found only examples for processing natural language.
Is UIMA limited to this, or it can allow me for example extracting classes
or attributes from an a Ecore file?

Thank you for help! I would be happy to find examples of processing more
complex data.

Re: UIMA [new user]

Posted by Marshall Schor <ms...@schor.com>.
On 3/4/2013 5:30 AM, Diman Karagiozov wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> UIMA does not do out-of-the-box text extraction from various document formats.
> For this task you can use TIKA ( http://tika.apache.org/).
There is also a UIMA add-on annotator which wraps TIKA and enables it to run
inside a UIMA pipeline - perhaps useful if you're going to be combining other
analytics with this.

http://uima.apache.org/sandbox.html#tika.annotator

-Marshall

Re: UIMA [new user]

Posted by Diman Karagiozov <di...@tetracom.com>.
Hi there,

Re: UIMA [new user]

Posted by Richard Eckart de Castilho <ec...@ukp.informatik.tu-darmstadt.de>.
Hi,

Am 04.03.2013 um 11:26 schrieb Mehdi Alaoui Belghiti <al...@gmail.com>:

> I was looking for a platform that can make me processing files written in
> different formats (xml, owl, rdf,...) and extract relevant information. So
> i found UIMA.
> However, I found only examples for processing natural language.
> Is UIMA limited to this, or it can allow me for example extracting classes
> or attributes from an a Ecore file?

UIMA is the Unstructured Information Management Architecture. Its meant to be
used to analyze unstructured information, such as texts, and as a result of the analysis
superimpose structured information on top of it, such as linguistic or semantic categories.

If you need a library to access ecore files, you should probably look at the Eclipse EMF
framework. While UIMA can store analysis results in XMI files, UIMA is not a library to
access and process XMI files in general. Likewise for XML and RDF.

Cheers,

-- Richard

Richard Eckart de Castilho
Technical Lead
FB 20 Computer Science Department
Technische Universität Darmstadt
Hochschulstr. 10, D-64289 Darmstadt, Germany
eckart@ukp.informatik.tu-darmstadt.de
www.ukp.tu-darmstadt.de