Posted to dev@forrest.apache.org by Stefano Mazzocchi <st...@apache.org> on 2003/03/01 10:34:20 UTC

Re: [RT] Dynamic sitemaps

Jeff Turner wrote:

> At the moment, <map:mount>'s src attribute doesn't allow for arbitrary
> Sources, but I imagine that could be fixed.

When I hear 'dynamic sitemap', all my FS alarms go off.

> Thoughts?

This said, why don't you use the XConfTool that Cocoon uses in its build
to append pipelines in the sitemap at build time?

This is how I'm probably going to do samples build for Cocoon 2.1, it's
hacky, I know, but it's a step forward and cocoon blocks in Cocoon 2.2
will solve the issues completely.

Please, don't go down the dynamic sitemap path, it's the road to a hell.

--
Stefano Mazzocchi                               <st...@apache.org>

Re: [RT] Dynamic sitemaps

Posted by Stefano Mazzocchi <st...@apache.org>.
Jeff Turner wrote:
> On Sat, Mar 01, 2003 at 10:34:20AM +0100, Stefano Mazzocchi wrote:
>
>>Jeff Turner wrote:
>>

>>>At the moment, <map:mount>'s src attribute doesn't allow for arbitrary
>>>Sources, but I imagine that could be fixed.
>>
>>When I hear 'dynamic sitemap', all my FS alarms go off.
>

> :) Think of it this way: the resource-exists action is an evil blight on
> sitemaps everywhere.  Actions are the equivalent of <if> tasks in Ant.
> The solution I'm proposing is similar to Myrmidon's answer to <if>;
> "unroll" the complexity by adopting a two-step process:
>
> 1) Evaluate all conditionals, and generate a simple static script/sitemap
> 2) Run the generated script/sitemap.
>
> Isn't that cleaner than having switches and if-then-elses that sprout in
> any non-trivial sitemap?

Totally.

> Is there a better solution on the horizon?

Not that I know of. (read below)

>>>Thoughts?
>>
>>This said, why don't you use the XConfTool that Cocoon uses in its build
>>to append pipelines in the sitemap at build time?
>>
>>This is how I'm probably going to do samples build for Cocoon 2.1, it's
>>hacky, I know, but it's a step forward and cocoon blocks in Cocoon 2.2
>>will solve the issues completely.
>

> It sounds to me like blocks are to Cocoon what Centipede Cents are to
> Ant: a packaging and assembly system. They do not relieve the need for
> conditional behaviour in sitemaps.

You are right: sitemaps are part of blocks but they don't expose direct
conditionality.

>>Please, don't go down the dynamic sitemap path, it's the road to a hell.
>

> In Ant's case, the road to hell is paved with Jelly ;)

No shit!

> There are far
> worse solutions than to dynamically build and mount a sitemap with
> Cocoon.

Acknolwedged.

> If you know of any _better_ solutions, I'm all ears.

No, I don't have better solutions.

> --Jeff
>
> (hoping James S isn't reading.. Jelly is cool in the same way Perl is
> cool;)

Right. And I don't think Perl is cool at all. Draw your conclusions. :)

--
Stefano Mazzocchi                               <st...@apache.org>

Re: [RT] Dynamic sitemaps

Posted by Jeff Turner <je...@apache.org>.
On Sat, Mar 01, 2003 at 10:34:20AM +0100, Stefano Mazzocchi wrote:
> Jeff Turner wrote:
>
> >At the moment, <map:mount>'s src attribute doesn't allow for arbitrary
> >Sources, but I imagine that could be fixed.
>
> When I hear 'dynamic sitemap', all my FS alarms go off.

:) Think of it this way: the resource-exists action is an evil blight on
sitemaps everywhere.  Actions are the equivalent of <if> tasks in Ant.
The solution I'm proposing is similar to Myrmidon's answer to <if>;
"unroll" the complexity by adopting a two-step process:

1) Evaluate all conditionals, and generate a simple static script/sitemap
2) Run the generated script/sitemap.

Isn't that cleaner than having switches and if-then-elses that sprout in
any non-trivial sitemap?  Is there a better solution on the horizon?

> >Thoughts?
>
> This said, why don't you use the XConfTool that Cocoon uses in its build
> to append pipelines in the sitemap at build time?
>
> This is how I'm probably going to do samples build for Cocoon 2.1, it's
> hacky, I know, but it's a step forward and cocoon blocks in Cocoon 2.2
> will solve the issues completely.

It sounds to me like blocks are to Cocoon what Centipede Cents are to
Ant: a packaging and assembly system. They do not relieve the need for
conditional behaviour in sitemaps.

> Please, don't go down the dynamic sitemap path, it's the road to a hell.

In Ant's case, the road to hell is paved with Jelly ;)  There are far
worse solutions than to dynamically build and mount a sitemap with
Cocoon.  If you know of any _better_ solutions, I'm all ears.