Posted to user@mesos.apache.org by John Omernik <jo...@omernik.com> on 2015/10/28 15:38:02 UTC

Marathon 0.11.1 - Mesos 0.25 - Mesos-DNS 0.4.0

Hey all -

I am cross posting this because it's a number of moving parts that could be
at issue here (Mesos, Mesos-dns, and/or Marathon).

Basically: At the version combination in Subject, the IP that is registered
in mesos-dns for Docker containers running in Marathon is the internal
(container) IP address of the docker (in bridged mode) not the nodes. This
obviously causes issues.  Note this doesn't happen when the Marathon
application is non-Docker.

I was running Mesos-dns 0.4.0 on a cluster running Mesos 0.24.0 and
Marathon 0.10.0 and I upgraded to Mesos 0.25.0 and Marathon 0.11.1 and
noticed this behavior happening.

I thought that was odd because I have another cluster that was running
Mesos 0.25.0 and Marathon 0.11.1 and it wasn't happening, until I realized
that I hadn't upgraded Mesos-dns lately, I upgraded to Mesos-dns 0.4.0 and
the problem started occurring.

Is there a setting that I need to use the external IP of the container? Is
this issue known? Is there a workaround? This is pretty major for Docker
running on Marathon and using Mesos-dns for service discovery.

John Omernik

Re: Marathon 0.11.1 - Mesos 0.25 - Mesos-DNS 0.4.0

Posted by John Omernik <jo...@omernik.com>.
No, it wasn't specified at all. I was using an old config.json, thus I had
to add the setting with the host listed first for it to work. Not sure why
docker ended up being first in line there.

Posted by James DeFelice <ja...@gmail.com>.
The default value of IPSources doesn't have `docker` listed. As long as
that's not in the list you shouldn't have had a problem, unless some bad
actor was writing the wrong labels into the task. I don't see support for
NetworkInfos (`netinfos`) in marathon yet. Which means that `host` should
have been the fallback.

Did you, by chance, have `docker` listed in IPSources at any point?

On Tue, Nov 3, 2015 at 12:04 PM, John Omernik <jo...@omernik.com> wrote:

> I used
>
> "IPSources": ["host", "netinfo", "mesos"]
>

> With the thought that I would preference for the host at this point. When
> network isolation works in Marathon, then I will likely switch to netinfo.
>
> On Mon, Nov 2, 2015 at 7:28 PM, James DeFelice <ja...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> What settings worked for you? We did aim for least surprise. Sounds like
>> we missed a bit. We're happy to accept suggestions for improvement via gh
>> issues filed against the mesos-dns repo.
>> On Oct 29, 2015 7:39 AM, "John Omernik" <jo...@omernik.com> wrote:
>>
>>> That is good to know, however, I would challenge the group on something
>>> like this not being bug based on the documentation.  When a change in
>>> mesos-dns, and what fields it looks at is not affected by the mesos-dns
>>> component, but instead other components in a way that could have serious
>>> negative impacts on folks who are running this, there should be some
>>> fanfare there about changes.  Also, I would advocate that in mesos-dns the
>>> default should have been the same as previous releases (which I would
>>> assume was host ip) as default, then allow people who are aware of the
>>> underpinnings to make the change.

James DeFelice
585.241.9488 (voice)
650.649.6071 (fax)

Re: Marathon 0.11.1 - Mesos 0.25 - Mesos-DNS 0.4.0

Posted by John Omernik <jo...@omernik.com>.
I used

Posted by James DeFelice <ja...@gmail.com>.

Posted by John Omernik <jo...@omernik.com>.