Posted to users@activemq.apache.org by "dr.jeff" <jl...@systechnologies.com> on 2007/05/22 15:09:43 UTC

[camel]

What is the relation of Camel to ServiceMix-EIP?
Is one somehow the historical ancestor of the other?
Or are they intended to be equivalent functionality, but in different
settings?

Re: [camel]

Posted by James Strachan <ja...@gmail.com>.
On 5/22/07, dr.jeff <jl...@systechnologies.com> wrote:

> Yes.
>
> Also, ServiceMix EIP had xpath splitter, which I didn't see in Camel?

Thats more a case of bad documentation :) I've tried to fix that...
http://cwiki.apache.org/CAMEL/splitter.html

e.g.

from("activemq:foo.bar").splitter(xpath("//foo/bar")).to("file://whatnot")

i.e. the splitter takes any expression...
http://cwiki.apache.org/CAMEL/expression.html

--
James
-------

Re: [camel]

Posted by "dr.jeff" <jl...@systechnologies.com>.
Yes.

Re: [camel]

Posted by James Strachan <ja...@gmail.com>.
On 5/22/07, dr.jeff <jl...@systechnologies.com> wrote:
> What is the relation of Camel to ServiceMix-EIP?
> Is one somehow the historical ancestor of the other?
> Or are they intended to be equivalent functionality, but in different
> settings?

ServiceMix EIP was the ancestor; they both do similar things. The main
difference with ServiceMix EIP is its inttegrated into the existing
ServiceMix XBean XML stuff; whereas Camel has more EIP coverage and
can be used outside of JBI (e.g. just with pure JMS or MINA)...
http://activemq.apache.org/camel/enterprise-integration-patterns.html

Also Camel supports Java or XML configuration. We should probably