Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by Curtis Vaughan <cu...@npc-usa.com> on 2006/04/14 18:41:57 UTC

Spam filters

Question about spam tags, but not specific to spamassassin.

I have a client who has a problem that his email are often tagged as
spam by various servers.

It seems to me some of the following issues might trigger an anti-
spam tool to identify his email as potential spam. I just want to be
sure this is right.

NB. For the sake of this letter his DN is mail.mailserver.com

1. He has a Postfix email server in Seattle.
However, the mx record, however, mail.mailserver.com is located in LA.

2. His Postfix server name is www.anotherserver.com
It does traceroute to the Seattle area.

3. Of course, I wonder how many people are in his BCC. Have yet to
find out.

Finally, I should say that according to him, it is primarily Yahoo
and Hotmail clients who identify his messages as Junk/Spam. But that
it is not just these. Perhaps someone knows something about Yahoo and
Hotmail's methods for identifying spam.

I'm would like to also ask whether it is at all important that a DN
have not just an mx record for mail.xxx.com, but also smtp.xxx.com.
Seemingly it's not that important, but I can say for sure that if you
were to try to ping smtp.mailserver.com it will time out. That is
there is no record for him for smtp.mailserver.com. But maybe some
spam filters somehow check for that as well? I don't know.

Thanks for any input.

Re: Spam filters

Posted by Michael Monnerie <mi...@it-management.at>.
On Freitag, 14. April 2006 18:41 Curtis Vaughan wrote:
> it is primarily Yahoo
> and Hotmail clients who identify his messages as Junk/Spam

I think they have in webmail a button "this is spam", which they just
push on his messages. The best is to remove that customers from his
newsletter.

mfg zmi
// Tel: 0660/4156531                          .network.your.ideas.
// PGP Key:   "lynx -source http://zmi.at/zmi3.asc | gpg --import"
// Fingerprint: 44A3 C1EC B71E C71A B4C2  9AA6 C818 847C 55CB A4EE
// Keyserver: www.keyserver.net                 Key-ID: 0x55CBA4EE