Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by mi...@cox.net on 2005/04/28 20:50:28 UTC

Tomcat on Mac Stops Unexpectedly

I've been running Tomcat on Windows XP for quite a while, without the following issue. I just installed it on a Mac and it stops for no discernible reason after an hour or so, with no activity on the system. I don't see any entry in teh logs frm the time I walked away from a running Tomcat server to the time I find it not running. No other error indications as well- just that Tomcat needs to be restarted.

I'm at a loss for what to do since i have no leads to follow. Can anyone suggest a theory or somehting to check?

Is Tomcat supposed to run on Mac Unix? I'm using OSX 10.3.8, Tomcat 5.5.9.

I'm using

Re: Tomcat on Mac Stops Unexpectedly

Posted by "Eric J. Pastoor" <ep...@vt.edu>.
I'm using OS X 10.3.8 with Tomcat 5.0.28. It's been running without a
restart for about a year except for OS updates.  I know that since apple
hasn't officially released java 1.5 yet, you need to use the compatibility
jar with anything over 5.5.7 which is one of the main reasons i havent
upgraded to 5.5.7. I'm waiting on apple for their java update and then I'll
update to that tomcat. Let me know if you need any help setting up on the
Mac. My tomcat experience on XP was a nightmare so I switched to the Mac and
so far it's been a delight.

~Eric

Posted by Anoop kumar V <an...@gmail.com>.
well - if Apache is the culprit - why do you want to run it at all. Why not
shut it down? I am assuming that Apache was dedicated to your application
which runs on Tomcat..

Actually matter of fact I have encountered quite a few instances (not on Mac
though) where Tomcat runs best if not better than when integrated with
Apache. Tomcat comes with its own webserver and if you know how to handle a
few security related details I think you can have tomcat deliver all that u
expected out of an Apache-Tomcat combination ststic content included.

All the best,
Anoop

On 4/29/05, Mark Leone <mi...@cox.net> wrote:

> [...]
> it looks like Apache was the culprit in the unexplained Tomcat
> shutdowns. Is there a simple way to run Apache and Tomcat on the same
> machine without integrating them, just deconflicting the IP ports on
> which they listen? I'm not ready at this point to run Tomcat "behind"
> Apache- I'd just like them to co-exist for the time being, if possible.
> Stack trace below shows what Tomcat was doing after an hour or so uptime.
>
> Mark Leone wrote:
>
> > I found an entry in the catalina.out log that I believe represents the
> > spontaneous shutdown of Tomcat that I'm experiencing. I've pasted the
> > log text below. Does this indicate Apache HTTP Server and Tomcat are
> > interfering with one another? They're both installed on the Mac, but I
> > didn't do anything to integrate them other than deconflict the IP
> > ports they listen on. I don't understand what socket connection was
> > reset by the peer, unless it was a Tomcat to Apache connection, which
> > also seems to be indicated by the packages appearing in the stack trace.
> >
> > I'm going to shut down apache and see if Tomcat makes it through the
> > night.
> >
> > Apr 29, 2005 12:41:46 AM org.apache.coyote.http11.Http11Protocol pause
> > INFO: Pausing Coyote HTTP/1.1 on http-8090
> > Apr 29, 2005 12:41:46 AM org.apache.jk.common.ChannelSocket
> > acceptConnections
> > WARNING: Exception executing accept
> > java.net.SocketException: Connection reset by peer
> > at java.net.PlainSocketImpl.socketSetOption(Native Method)
> > at java.net.PlainSocketImpl.setOption(PlainSocketImpl.java:240)
> > at java.net.Socket.setTcpNoDelay(Socket.java:771)
> > at org.apache.jk.common.ChannelSocket.accept(ChannelSocket.java:304)
> > at
> > org.apache.jk.common.ChannelSocket.acceptConnections(ChannelSocket.java
> :641)
> >
> > at org.apache.jk.common.SocketAcceptor.runIt(ChannelSocket.java:852)
> > at
> > org.apache.tomcat.util.threads.ThreadPool$ControlRunnable.run(
> ThreadPool.java:684)

> > Apr 29, 2005 12:41:47 AM org.apache.catalina.core.StandardService stop
> > INFO: Stopping service Catalina
> > Apr 29, 2005 12:41:47 AM org.apache.coyote.http11.Http11Protocol destroy
> > INFO: Stopping Coyote HTTP/1.1 on http-8090
> >

> > midnightjava@cox.net wrote:
> >
> >> I've been running Tomcat on Windows XP for quite a while, without the
> >> following issue. I just installed it on a Mac and it stops for no
> >> discernible reason after an hour or so, with no activity on the
> >> system. I don't see any entry in teh logs frm the time I walked away
> >> from a running Tomcat server to the time I find it not running. No
> >> other error indications as well- just that Tomcat needs to be
> restarted.
> >>
> >> I'm at a loss for what to do since i have no leads to follow. Can
> >> anyone suggest a theory or somehting to check?
> >>
> >> Is Tomcat supposed to run on Mac Unix? I'm using OSX 10.3.8, Tomcat

Thanks and best regards,
Anoop

Re: Tomcat on Mac Stops Unexpectedly

Posted by Mark Leone <mi...@cox.net>.