Posted to dev@subversion.apache.org by He...@moh.govt.nz on 2007/05/30 00:42:24 UTC

error: file is not properly URI-encoded

I get this

svn@robin /export/home/svn $ svn cat
'file:////export/home/svnrepos/Solaris/winston/disks/se3k/sccli/SN#07BB05/nvram.cfg'
svn: URL
'file:////export/home/svnrepos/Solaris/winston/disks/se3k/sccli/SN#07BB05/nvram.cfg'
is not properly URI-encoded

which I think is caused by the hash ("#") in the directory name

svn@robin /export/home/svn $ svn --version
svn, version 1.4.3 (r23084)
   compiled Feb 13 2007, 00:57:50

Copyright (C) 2000-2006 CollabNet.
Subversion is open source software, see http://subversion.tigris.org/
This product includes software developed by CollabNet
(http://www.Collab.Net/).

The following repository access (RA) modules are available:

* ra_dav : Module for accessing a repository via WebDAV (DeltaV) protocol.
  - handles 'http' scheme
  - handles 'https' scheme
* ra_svn : Module for accessing a repository using the svn network
protocol.
  - handles 'svn' scheme
* ra_local : Module for accessing a repository on local disk.
  - handles 'file' scheme

This all comes from a Solaris 9 environment, the package is taken from
http://www.sunfreeware.com/programlistsparc9.html#subversion

The nvram.cfg file is UNIX type "data", output from the sccli command.

Henry Barber
Senior Systems Engineer (pSeries/AIX)
Ministry of Health
DDI: 816 2895
Mobile: 021 596 917

mailto:Henry_Barber@moh.govt.nz

Statement of confidentiality: This e-mail message and any accompanying
attachments may contain information that is IN-CONFIDENCE and subject to
legal privilege.
If you are not the intended recipient, do not read, use, disseminate,
distribute or copy this message or attachments.
immediately and delete this message.

by the Ministry of Health's Content and Virus Filtering Gateway

Re: error: file is not properly URI-encoded

Posted by Ryan Schmidt <su...@ryandesign.com>.
On May 29, 2007, at 19:42, Henry_Barber@moh.govt.nz wrote:

> I get this
>
> svn@robin /export/home/svn $ svn cat 'file:////export/home/svnrepos/
> Solaris/winston/disks/se3k/sccli/SN#07BB05/nvram.cfg'
> svn: URL 'file:////export/home/svnrepos/Solaris/winston/disks/se3k/
> sccli/SN#07BB05/nvram.cfg' is not properly URI-encoded
>
> which I think is caused by the hash ("#") in the directory name

Ok... so... you should properly URI-encode it. In URIs, # is
represented by %23. Furthermore, you should have three slashes, not
four, at the beginning of the URL. So you should use:

svn cat 'file:///export/home/svnrepos/Solaris/winston/disks/se3k/
sccli/SN%2307BB05/nvram.cfg'

Since your message is not about the development of Subversion, but
rather how to use it, this message is not appropriate for the dev list.

Re: error: file is not properly URI-encoded

Posted by Peter Lundblad <pl...@google.com>.
Ben Collins-Sussman writes:
> This might be a bug.  In theory, the commandline client *should* be
> automatically doing url-encoding of URLs passed in quotes.

Hi,

Despite from the fact that the quotes thing doesn't have anything to
do with it, this is not a bug, but a deliberate decision.  We only
escape a handful of characters (see docs for svn_uri_autoescape) that
can't mean anything in an URI.  Now, # is probably safe for our
purposes and since we don't allow it in URIs anyway, we could probably
add it to the table.

Note that this autoescaping is just a convenience.  Scripts should
make sure to add properly escaped URLs to be robust.

Thanks,
//Peter

Re: error: file is not properly URI-encoded

Posted by Peter Lundblad <pl...@google.com>.

Posted by Ben Collins-Sussman <su...@red-bean.com>.

Posted by Ben Collins-Sussman <su...@red-bean.com>.

Posted by Ryan Schmidt <su...@ryandesign.com>.