Posted to dev@openoffice.apache.org by Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org> on 2012/05/27 03:13:51 UTC

AOO 3.4 downloads by language and country

The following lists the top 10 countries for downloads of each AOO 3.4
NL install.

Downloads have come from 226 countries.  26 countries saw more than
10,000 downloads, 78 countries had more than 1,000 downloads, and 147
had more than 100 downloads.  Four countries had only a single
download each:  Guinea-Bissau, Wallis and Futuna, Eritrea, and Chad.

(And yes, we have three downloads, of the Italian version, from the
Vatican City).

Aside from showing the diversity of our users, and the complexity of
language distributions, it suggests some gaps.   For example, look at
the top non-English speaking countries that have downloaded the en_US
version: Sweden, Romania, Poland, Indonesia.  So strong interest in
AOO in those countries.  Maybe we should reach out for volunteer to
help update those translations?

There maybe be other patterns here that others can discern and point out.

Regards,

-Rob

===ar===
Saudi Arabia,610
Egypt,305
Algeria,289
United States,229
Bahrain,151
United Kingdom,96
United Arab Emirates,89
Kuwait,65
Yemen,64
Jordan,59

===cs===
Czech Republic,15460
Slovakia,625
France,128
Germany,54
United Kingdom,42
United States,41
Austria,15
Poland,13
Spain,12
Switzerland,10

===de===
Germany,179632
Austria,13946
Switzerland,9725
Italy,504
Luxembourg,480
Spain,477
United States,445
United Kingdom,403
France,389
Netherlands,239

===en-US===
United States,362076
United Kingdom,67711
Canada,39174
India,29516
Australia,24010
Sweden,11607
Romania,11340
Poland,10692
Indonesia,9264
Germany,8970

===es===
Spain,66036
Mexico,18529
Argentina,15254
Colombia,7893
Chile,7667
Venezuela,4093
Peru,3341
Uruguay,2910
Ecuador,1739
Costa Rica,1385

===fr===
France,229814
Belgium,15948
Canada,11222
Switzerland,5547
Morocco,3417
Algeria,2377
Reunion,2251
Tunisia,1862
Guadeloupe,912
Martinique,844

===gl===
Spain,391
Germany,76
Portugal,22
United States,15
United Kingdom,8
Sweden,5
Switzerland,4
Mexico,3
France,2
Argentina,2

===hu===
Hungary,7553
Romania,235
France,127
United Kingdom,78
Slovakia,77
Germany,65
Serbia,50
United States,37
Sweden,28
Austria,28

===it===
Italy,186920
Switzerland,1102
France,362
Germany,330
United States,286
United Kingdom,285
Spain,274
Romania,134
Brazil,86
Belgium,78

===ja===
Japan,31379
United States,304
China,191
France,147
Taiwan,64
United Kingdom,55
Thailand,50
Canada,44
Australia,44
Korea,38

===nl===
Netherlands,23112
Belgium,11910
France,220
Germany,171
Spain,127
United States,92
United Kingdom,89
Switzerland,66
Portugal,59
Sweden,33

===pt-BR===
Brazil,15824
Portugal,571
France,282
United States,164
Spain,52
United Kingdom,43
Germany,38
Japan,37
Argentina,33
Switzerland,27

===ru===
Russia,74254
Ukraine,14194
Kazakhstan,1378
Belarus,1371
Latvia,878
Germany,659
Moldova,588
Estonia,568
Israel,357
France,239

===zh-CN===
China,12045
United States,476
Hong Kong,412
France,263
Taiwan,177
Canada,151
Singapore,148
Malaysia,146
Japan,129
Australia,113

===zh-TW===
Taiwan,27666
Hong Kong,8921
China,617
United States,276
Macao,261
France,140
Canada,105
Australia,103
Japan,58
United Kingdom,54

Re: AOO 3.4 downloads by language and country

Posted by Kevin Grignon <ke...@gmail.com>.
Simon,

Working with acedemia is a great path. Not only to promote the current
offering, but to understand how students use social, and how AOO could be
part of their social workflow.

Regards,
Kevin

Posted by Shenfeng Liu <li...@gmail.com>.
You are right, Kevin.

Posted by Kevin Grignon <ke...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Andrea Pescetti <pe...@apache.org>.
Hagar Delest wrote:
> Strange, there is no download from France for the en-US version.
> There should be mine at least :-)
> Are there some other similar cases?

As Rob wrote, he is only listing the top ten countries for each version,
to cut off the "long tail" of countries with fewer downloads. With a
French version available, I wouldn't expect France to be in top
countries for the en-US version (and the same for Italian, of course).

Regards,
   Andrea.

Re: AOO 3.4 downloads by language and country

Posted by Louis Suárez-Potts <lu...@gmail.com>.
Thanks, this is quite useful.

Louis

On 2012-05-28, at 16:12 , Rob Weir wrote:

> On Mon, May 28, 2012 at 3:19 PM, Hagar Delest <ha...@laposte.net> wrote:
>> My bad!
>> Have been misled by some entries with just 2 downloads but still in the top
>> 10 of the related flavor.
>>

> I just checked in my script in case anyone is interested in generating
> the full list of countries by language:
>
> https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator/ooo/devtools/aoo-stats/countries.py
>
> -Rob
>
>> Thanks for the reminder.
>>
>> Hagar
>>

>> Le lun. 28 mai 2012 15:45:34 CEST, Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org> a écrit :

>>> If was further download on the list, not in the top 10.  But here is
>>> the top 30 for the en_US install downloads:
>>>
>>> United States,362076
>>> United Kingdom,67711
>>> Canada,39174
>>> India,29516
>>> Australia,24010
>>> Sweden,11607
>>> Romania,11340
>>> Poland,10692
>>> Indonesia,9264
>>> Germany,8970
>>> Malaysia,8794
>>> Singapore,7448
>>> Italy,7329
>>> Philippines,7322
>>> South Africa,7212
>>> Thailand,6519
>>> Norway,6405
>>> New Zealand,5692
>>> France,5275
>>> Ireland,4804
>>> Netherlands,4265
>>> Viet Nam,3925
>>> Greece,3825
>>> Turkey,3606
>>> Spain,3320
>>> China,3313
>>> Hong Kong,3118
>>> Russia,3061
>>> Estonia,3013

Posted by Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org>.

Posted by Hagar Delest <ha...@laposte.net>.
My bad!
Have been misled by some entries with just 2 downloads but still in the top 10 of the related flavor.

Thanks for the reminder.

Hagar

Le lun. 28 mai 2012 15:45:34 CEST, Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org> a écrit :

> On Mon, May 28, 2012 at 9:01 AM, Hagar Delest <ha...@laposte.net> wrote:
>> Le dim. 27 mai 2012 03:13:51 CEST, Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org> a écrit :
>>

>>> ===en-US===
>>> United States,362076
>>> United Kingdom,67711
>>> Canada,39174
>>> India,29516
>>> Australia,24010
>>> Sweden,11607
>>> Romania,11340
>>> Poland,10692
>>> Indonesia,9264

Posted by Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org>.

Posted by Hagar Delest <ha...@laposte.net>.

Posted by Albino Biasutti Neto <bi...@gmail.com>.
Hi.

2012/5/26 Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org>

> The following lists the top 10 countries for downloads of each AOO 3.4
> NL install.
>
> Downloads have come from 226 countries.  26 countries saw more than
> 10,000 downloads, 78 countries had more than 1,000 downloads, and 147
> had more than 100 downloads.  Four countries had only a single
> download each:  Guinea-Bissau, Wallis and Futuna, Eritrea, and Chad.

Good.

> (And yes, we have three downloads, of the Italian version, from the
> Vatican City).
>
> Aside from showing the diversity of our users, and the complexity of
> language distributions, it suggests some gaps.   For example, look at
> the top non-English speaking countries that have downloaded the en_US
> version: Sweden, Romania, Poland, Indonesia.  So strong interest in
> AOO in those countries.  Maybe we should reach out for volunteer to
> help update those translations?

We can look with different eyes.

Best,

--
Meu email mudou e também minhas redes sociais:
My email change and also social networking:

binoabn [at] gmail [dot] com

Redes/Networking: @binoabn

about.me/binoabn

Re: AOO 3.4 downloads by language and country

Posted by Andrea Pescetti <pe...@apache.org>.
Rob Weir wrote:
> Aside from showing the diversity of our users, and the complexity of
> language distributions, it suggests some gaps.   For example, look at
> the top non-English speaking countries that have downloaded the en_US
> version: Sweden, Romania, Poland, Indonesia.  So strong interest in
> AOO in those countries.  Maybe we should reach out for volunteer to
> help update those translations?

Thanks, very good data. And yes, this can be really useful in guessing
what languages are most needed. Even though we might gather more
significant information by a per-country analysis of the 3.3
"check-for-updates" traffic once it's enabled again. But that XML file
will be distributed through the main openoffice.org site, so it will
need to be analyzed with different techniques.

Regards,
   Andrea.