Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Geoff Smith <ge...@nrl.navy.mil> on 2004/10/18 12:09:37 UTC

svn+ssh "svnserve: command not found"

Hello --

I am new to svn and having trouble setting up.  I am trying to attach
using svn+ssh and am getting the following error:

plato:~ gbsmith$ svn list svn+ssh://name.of.my.server
gbsmith@name.of.my.server's password:
bash: line 1: svnserve: command not found
svn: Connection closed unexpectedly

I am running Mac OS X on both ends, and have svn installed on both
ends via fink.  My guess is that a script is invoked during the
process which has the location of the svnserve binary hard wired, and
fink has the bin located in /sw/bin....  but I don't know this is the
case.  I have been searching the archives and not seen a solution
(although of course it may be there.... :))

Thanks for any tips!

-geoff

--
Geoff Smith                                    		voice:  202.404.6324
Naval Research Laboratory; Code 7233           	fax:    202.404.5689

Re: svn+ssh "svnserve: command not found"

Posted by Geoff Smith <ge...@nrl.navy.mil>.
At 8:08 AM -0700 10/19/04, Dave Camp wrote:
>The PATH variable on the server does not include the directory where
>svnserve was installed. You'll need to add it to either
>/etc/csh.login or /etc/profile I think. Also, be sure to get your
>umask right (maybe 002) if the repository will be used by others as
>well.

Thanks -- you are correct!

What I decided to do instead is add a link to svnserve in a directory
which is in the basic path.

-geoff

Posted by Dave Camp <da...@thinbits.com>.
The PATH variable on the server does not include the directory where
svnserve was installed. You'll need to add it to either /etc/csh.login
or /etc/profile I think. Also, be sure to get your umask right (maybe
002) if the repository will be used by others as well.

Dave