Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by thekillerbean <tk...@anroet.com> on 2006/11/19 08:58:40 UTC

Help with sa-learn when using Outlook 2003.

We currently have an Exchange 2003 server that is under heavy burden due to
excessive SPAM.  The company is not willing to spend $$$ to resolve the
issue if it can be done on Linux - especially being that we have several
Linux boxes lying idle!  Hence, my plan is to implement Sendmail as a front
end mail server for Exchange that will do the SPAM fighting (and possible
virus scanning as well once I learn how to) then forward e-mail to Exchange.

My dilemma is that since all user accounts are on Exchange, how do I bring
these missed SPAM e-mail messages back to the Linux box for use with
sa-learn?

Cheers,
tkb.

Re: Help with sa-learn when using Outlook 2003.

Posted by Steven Stern <su...@sterndata.com>.
thekillerbean wrote:
> We currently have an Exchange 2003 server that is under heavy burden due to
> excessive SPAM.  The company is not willing to spend $$$ to resolve the
> issue if it can be done on Linux - especially being that we have several
> Linux boxes lying idle!  Hence, my plan is to implement Sendmail as a front
> end mail server for Exchange that will do the SPAM fighting (and possible
> virus scanning as well once I learn how to) then forward e-mail to Exchange.
>
> My dilemma is that since all user accounts are on Exchange, how do I bring
> these missed SPAM e-mail messages back to the Linux box for use with
> sa-learn?
>
> Cheers,
> tkb.

See this:

http://sstern.ccim.com/2006/07/14/training-sitewide-spam-filters/

It shows how I set up sitewide Bayes on 3 Linux MX servers using
Exchange/Outlook.

--

  Steve

Re: Help with sa-learn when using Outlook 2003.

Posted by "Daryl C. W. O'Shea" <sp...@dostech.ca>.
On 11/19/2006 3:01 PM, thekillerbean wrote:

> [...]

Yeah, if they've got the required auth credentials.

> Works for firefox on linux, freebsd, macos, windows.
> Works for IE on windows.

Probably, but not on Windows, Linux and Solaris here without auth
credentials.

> MAYBE there is something with your setup.
>
> Have fun ever figuring out SA

I'd seriously think, twice, no eight times, before considering buying a
mail appliance from someone who took since 1995 to get it right.

Did it really take that long or are you just trying to scare people off
of SA and on to your client list?

Daryl

Re: Help with sa-learn when using Outlook 2003.

Posted by thekillerbean <tk...@anroet.com>.
Thanks guys.

I like the responses here.

However, I got a response to this post (see below) to my Nabble registered
email address and I highly suspected that it could be malicious.  There were
2 links in the response and funny enough, the Powerpoint related link works,
but the home page link reckons I'm forbidden access.  What is the policy on
such posters here on Nabble?

I can't trust such responses especially after you see the dialog I had with
the sender - definitely an arrogant individual who believes he has all the
answers!

Also, how can I block messages from coming back to me directly?  I'd like to
have responses only appear here, but I'd also like to retain the ability to
get emails when replies are added to my posts.

Cheers,
tkb.

--------------------------------------

Posted by "Peter H. Lemieux" <ph...@cyways.com>.
thekillerbean wrote:
> We currently have an Exchange 2003 server that is under heavy burden due to
> excessive SPAM.  The company is not willing to spend $$$ to resolve the
> issue if it can be done on Linux - especially being that we have several
> Linux boxes lying idle!  Hence, my plan is to implement Sendmail as a front
> end mail server for Exchange that will do the SPAM fighting (and possible
> virus scanning as well once I learn how to) then forward e-mail to Exchange.
>
> My dilemma is that since all user accounts are on Exchange, how do I bring
> these missed SPAM e-mail messages back to the Linux box for use with
> sa-learn?
>
> Cheers,
> tkb.

I suggest you take a close look at MailScanner
(http://www.mailscanner.info/) which enables both virus and spam scanning
at the MTA level.  The MailScanner site also includes a ClamAV+SA package
that is designed to integrate with MailScanner.  Have incoming mail
arrive at the MailScanner box with all messages forwarded to Exchange
(make the Exchange host the smart host in your sendmail.mc file).

I'm not sure I know what you mean by "bringing back" the messages.  If
you mean a place where users can drop messages they think are spams for
later Bayes learning, you could set up a mailbox on the linux box and
have them forward the spams they find to spam@linuxbox.yourdomain.com.
Just make sure DNS is set up correctly so that mail for linuxbox is sent
to it and not the Exchange server, and make sure that
linuxbox.yourdomain.com is listed in either the Cw directive in
sendmail.cf or in the file referenced in Fw (/etc/mail/local-host-names
on RedHat-flavored systems).

[I don't use a system like this at all, BTW.  Much of the important stuff
about spams is in the headers which will always be lost if the message is
forwarded from a user.  If you're willing to do some manual labor, you
can set up MailScanner to archive a copy of each message it marks as ham,
then pull out the archived copies that match the users' spam submissions.
  The archive copies will have the complete headers.]

Throw a bunch of RAM in this box if you're processing a lot of mail.  If
you have a busy mail server, you'll probably want a gig or two.  Make
sure it never touches swap; that will slow processing enormously.

Peter

Re: Help with sa-learn when using Outlook 2003.

Posted by Stuart Johnston <st...@ebby.com>.
thekillerbean wrote:
> We currently have an Exchange 2003 server that is under heavy burden due to
> excessive SPAM.  The company is not willing to spend $$$ to resolve the
> issue if it can be done on Linux - especially being that we have several
> Linux boxes lying idle!  Hence, my plan is to implement Sendmail as a front
> end mail server for Exchange that will do the SPAM fighting (and possible
> virus scanning as well once I learn how to) then forward e-mail to Exchange.
>
> My dilemma is that since all user accounts are on Exchange, how do I bring
> these missed SPAM e-mail messages back to the Linux box for use with
> sa-learn?

One option would be to use Maia Mailguard on the Linux box.  It can
temporarily store a copy of all incoming mail.  When a user wants to
report a message as spam, they log into the Maia web interface.  This
way you can be certain that the message will not have been munged by the
MUA.