Posted to dev@tomee.apache.org by "Zowalla, Richard" <ri...@hs-heilbronn.de> on 2022/04/01 06:48:11 UTC

Re: TOMEE-3846 flavors comparison page / TOMEE-3871 - TomEE Plume is missing BatchEE / JCS Cache

I agree with both of you :)

It is a common question and is often asked on Stackoverflow: which
version of TomEE supports which JDK, which JEE Standard is covered with
which TomEE version, which TomEE version should be used in 2022, ...

I am sure we can be more clear on the website. I am happy to discuss /
give my thoughts on anything, you provide via a PR, Swell! :)

Every single contributions matters.

Gruß
Richard

Posted by Cesar Hernandez <ce...@gmail.com>.

> all the TomEE 7.0 stuff would say "Java EE" not "Jakarta EE" and use
> "Enterprise JavaBeans" not "Jakarta EnterpriseBeans", etc.

Agree, I overlooked the fact that spec names changed along with namespace.

--
Atentamente:
César Hernández.

Re: TOMEE-3846 flavors comparison page / TOMEE-3871 - TomEE Plume is missing BatchEE / JCS Cache

Posted by Swell <so...@gmail.com>.
Feedbacks taken to improve pages on 4 branches (7.0, 7.1, 8, 9)

pending questions should be in
https://github.com/apache/tomee/pull/866#issuecomment-1103873430

- Swell

Posted by Swell <so...@gmail.com>.
Thanks!

Posted by David Blevins <da...@gmail.com>.

Posted by David Blevins <da...@gmail.com>.
> On Apr 20, 2022, at 3:59 AM, Swell <so...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> i also agree about ease of maintenance.
>
> i started working on comparison page v7.1, here are some thoughts :
> https://github.com/apache/tomee/pull/866
>
> i have several questions/issues:
>
>   - i lack some JSR specs number, i need to dig them, working on it, help
>   appreciated
>   - this comparison page would be a quasi duplicate between 7.0 and 7.1,
>   it is ok for now.
>      - there are 2 TomEE minors (v7.0,v7.1) for 1 Java EE (v7) its ok if
>      it stays like that.
>      it may be a pain later if there is again 2 TomEE for 1 Jakarta (say
>      TomEE v10.0 and TomEE v10.1 for same Jakarta 10.0).
>      could this happen again ?
>   - i would appreciate feedbacks on this suggested comparison page
>      - is red cross a bad idea to tell EE7 does not include JSON-B ?
>      do i better remove the lines with red crosses (specs not part of EE7)
>      ?
>
> instead of making a comparison page for every TomEE minors (7.0, 7.1, 8, 9),
> could i make a comparison page for every Java/Jakarta minors (7, 8, 9.1,
> 10.0) ?
> (and put them on the main website instead)
>
> i'm not sure whats the best option.
>
> here is what i'am working on :
>
>   - tomee.apache.org/
>      - comparison.html
>      - tomee-7.1/docs/comparison.html (more risk ok duplicate)
>      - tomee-8.0/docs/comparison.html
>      - tomee-9.0/docs/comparison.html

We can certainly add other comparisons, but we definitely want to keep a comparison page that answers the question of how the different TomEE distributions compare to each other and Tomcat for that particular release.

Comparing different TomEE versions to each other or comparing different Jakarta EE versions to other Jakarta EE versions can be useful, but doesn't eliminate the need for a dedicated page that helps people answer the question "Which distribution of TomEE 8 should I download?"

On the minor versions.  We don't do those often.  When we do do them it's because we've changed something fundamental about the server.  For example we created TomEE 7.1 because we wanted to add MicroProfile implementations, but did not feel good about doing that in a patch release on 7.0.x.  So in reality the 7.0 and 7.1 comparison pages are going to be quite different.  The 7.0 page will have no TomEE MicroProfile distribution and no MicroProfile specs.  The TomEE 7.1 will have the new TomEE MicroProfile distribution and some MicroProfile specs.

What I can't remember is when we added MicroProfile specs to TomEE Plus and Plume.  I know initially those two distributions did not contain any MicroProfile support, but I can't remember if we eventually added that before 7.1 went final or if we did that in TomEE 8.0.  A page per release will really help us all keep stuff like that straight.

-David

Re: TOMEE-3846 flavors comparison page / TOMEE-3871 - TomEE Plume is missing BatchEE / JCS Cache

Posted by Swell <so...@gmail.com>.
[...]

here is an alternative :

   - tomee.apache.org/
      - comparison.html
      - comparison-jakartaee-7.html (no risk ok duplicate)
      - comparison-jakartaee-8.html
      - comparison-jakartaee-9.html
      - comparison-jakartaee-10.html

We all have a lot of work this week, so no worries about the time we need
to make this good,
i'll keep my coding train on the tracks we agreed on for the moment
Swell

On Wed, 20 Apr 2022 at 08:14, Zowalla, Richard <

Posted by "Zowalla, Richard" <ri...@hs-heilbronn.de>.

Posted by David Blevins <da...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Swell <so...@gmail.com>.
Thank you all for your feedbacks, comparison pages sent for review:
+ https://github.com/apache/tomee/pull/854
+ https://github.com/apache/tomee/pull/855

you might want those two "per-version" comparison pages to be without the
tables for "flavors" and "implementations" since these tables also are in
the "main" comparison page in the website PR:

https://github.com/apache/tomee-site-generator/pull/37

i believe this version is closer to expectations, with room for
improvements, open to suggestions,

Swell

Posted by David Blevins <da...@gmail.com>.
Sounds awesome, everyone.

Posted by Swell <so...@gmail.com>.

Posted by "Zowalla, Richard" <ri...@hs-heilbronn.de>.

Posted by David Blevins <da...@gmail.com>.
Hey All,

[...]

Each page will be of course only mentioning the specifications they implement.  We can even use the exact spec names as they existed, so for example, all the TomEE 7.0 stuff would say "Java EE" not "Jakarta EE" and use "Enterprise JavaBeans" not "Jakarta EnterpriseBeans", etc.

Fwd: TOMEE-3846 flavors comparison page / TOMEE-3871 - TomEE Plume is missing BatchEE / JCS Cache

Posted by Swell <so...@gmail.com>.
Thanks Richard,

two pages can be pre-reviewed :

   - compare-jakarta-versions.html
   - comparison.html

i believe we can choose only one of the two for release. which one do you
find more readable ?
(they differ in the detailed list of jakarta specs.)

i'll try to update my page later to better reflect JRE ranges and your
warnings on JRE/ASM.
i have reflected JL work regarding MicroProfile dependencies in my draft PR.
[image: image.png][image: image.png]

Posted by Swell <so...@gmail.com>.
Thanks !

[...]

On Fri, 1 Apr 2022 at 08:48, Zowalla, Richard <