Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by Paul Stead <pa...@zeninternet.co.uk> on 2016/01/18 12:36:04 UTC

sch.uk - potential util_rb_3tld list

Come across the following which lists all *.sch.uk local authorities -
thought it might be useful to someone

http://www.nominet.uk/wp-content/uploads/2015/10/Schools_Domain_Name_Rules.pdf

Paul
--
Paul Stead
Systems Engineer

Re: sch.uk - potential util_rb_3tld list

Posted by Ian Eiloart <ia...@sussex.ac.uk>.
> On 18 Jan 2016, at 11:53, Axb <ax...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> On 01/18/2016 12:36 PM, Paul Stead wrote:
>> Come across the following which lists all *.sch.uk local authorities -
>> thought it might be useful to someone
>>
>> http://www.nominet.uk/wp-content/uploads/2015/10/Schools_Domain_Name_Rules.pdf
>>

> Paul,
> Pls open a bug so we have a record..
> thx

Actually, I don’t see how to use the list: it’s subject to change, and unfortunately doesn’t include contacts.

More useful to know is that next level subdomains of .sch.uk can only be registered by local education authorities, which are branches of local government in the UK. And each subdomain of a subdomain of .sch.uk can only be registered by a school. So, it’s unlikely that subdomains of .sch.uk will be registered maliciously.

Similarly, .ac.uk is reserved for higher education institutions in the UK. So they’re unlikely to be registered maliciously.

So, an SPF pass, or valid DKIM signature in such a domain is likely to be coming from a legitimate source.

However, account compromise is not uncommon: partly because the domains are quite attractive to spammers. So, don’t adjust your spam score, but do adjust your strategy when discovering spam. Reports of spam from .ac.uk or .sch.uk accounts are likely to be taken seriously, and contacts should be relatively easy to discover.

--
Ian Eiloart
Postmaster, University of Sussex

Re: sch.uk - potential util_rb_3tld list

Posted by Axb <ax...@gmail.com>.