Posted to dev@commons.apache.org by Ola Berg <ol...@arkitema.se> on 2002/06/11 15:08:33 UTC

Interesting

Being away from the Java Open Source movement for awhile, I now stumbled across the Commons project. I see that you have recognized the lack of pretty much the same things that I have: collection utilities, converters, dynamic beans and bean tools, among others.

I am now going to skip my own packages in favor of yours, as standard/wide-spread/freeware is better than personal/personal/personal.

But I lack a few things in your utilities (of what I have seen in the API-docs, pardon me if I didn\'t notice them elsewhere) that I have in mine.

Bean utilities:
a bean differ, producing diffs between beans (and with the ability to patch (excellent wherever you need diffs or finding incremental updates, just wrap the data in beans and the framework will do the rest).

Converters:
A fall-back default Converter that looks for a constructor that accepts only one String as parameter in the desired class.

Plus some more ideas and things.

Does that sound interesting?

/O

Re: Interesting

Posted by robert burrell donkin <ro...@mac.com>.
hi ola

one convention that we have in the commons that you might like to adopt is
that we try to prefix mails with the name of the component in square
brackets (eg. '[betwixt]'). this helps attract the attention of the
developers who are involved with supporting that project.

(you ideas seem quite interesting - to me at least - but it's not really
my area. so i'd hate to see you go off in a huff just because people are
ignoring your posts.)

- robert