Posted to jetspeed-dev@portals.apache.org by Randy Watler <rw...@finali.com> on 2004/12/08 01:03:12 UTC

J2 autodeployment.catalina.base jetspeed.properties setting

Guys,

I use JPackage RPM installs for tomcat4 and tomcat5 on Linux. Over the
last day or two, I have been struggling to get a clean startup on
tomcat5. After I eliminated all of my stupid user tricks, I was able to
get everything to deploy cleanly only after customizing the setting of
autodeployment.catalina.base in jetspeed.properties/override.properties.
The reason this is necessary is that the default setting,
${applicationRoot}/../../, does not resolve to the base tomcat5 install
directory that contains conf, (primarily due to copious use of symbolic
links and the relocation of config files to /etc on Linux). The deployer
requires access to this directory to install the security.xml file in
conf/Catalina/localhost.

I'd like to propose setting the autodeployment.catalina.base property
from the org.apache.jetspeed.server.home customized build.properties
setting. In development, this could be integrated into portal/maven.xml
as is done with the other autodeployment properties. Of course, this
will definitely kill the property-less install goal.

We could also apply some kind of search path specification there as
well, (i.e. '${applicationRoot}/../../,
/etc/tomcat${autodeployment.catalina.version.major}/,
/usr/share/tomcat${autodeployment.catalina.version.major}/, c:/Program
Files/Tomcat/'), that would work for most common deployments.

If this were only a production issue, I'd just set the property in
override.properties and be done with it. However, my primary concern is
for development ease of use.

Thoughts?

Randy

Re: J2 autodeployment.catalina.base jetspeed.properties setting

Posted by Randy Watler <rw...@finali.com>.
David,

David Sean Taylor wrote:

> Scott T. Weaver wrote:
>
>> Randy Watler wrote:
>>
>>> I use JPackage RPM installs for tomcat4 and tomcat5 on Linux. Over
>>> the last day or two, I have been struggling to get a clean startup
>>> on tomcat5. After I eliminated all of my stupid user tricks, I was
>>> able to get everything to deploy cleanly only after customizing the
>>> setting of autodeployment.catalina.base in
>>> jetspeed.properties/override.properties. The reason this is
>>> necessary is that the default setting, ${applicationRoot}/../../,
>>> does not resolve to the base tomcat5 install directory that contains
>>> conf, (primarily due to copious use of symbolic links and the
>>> relocation of config files to /etc on Linux). The deployer requires
>>> access to this directory to install the security.xml file in
>>> conf/Catalina/localhost.
>>>
> Doesn't Tomcat have a way to deploy an xml descriptor ?
> I would prefer this approach if possible

I'll look into it before I make any changes.

Posted by David Sean Taylor <da...@bluesunrise.com>.
Scott T. Weaver wrote:

> Randy Watler wrote:
>
>> Guys,
>>
>> I use JPackage RPM installs for tomcat4 and tomcat5 on Linux. Over the
>> last day or two, I have been struggling to get a clean startup on
>> tomcat5. After I eliminated all of my stupid user tricks, I was able
>> to get everything to deploy cleanly only after customizing the setting
>> of autodeployment.catalina.base in
>> jetspeed.properties/override.properties. The reason this is necessary
>> is that the default setting, ${applicationRoot}/../../, does not
>> resolve to the base tomcat5 install directory that contains conf,
>> (primarily due to copious use of symbolic links and the relocation of
>> config files to /etc on Linux). The deployer requires access to this
>> directory to install the security.xml file in conf/Catalina/localhost.

Doesn't Tomcat have a way to deploy an xml descriptor ?
I would prefer this approach if possible

>> I'd like to propose setting the autodeployment.catalina.base property
>> from the org.apache.jetspeed.server.home customized build.properties
>> setting. In development, this could be integrated into
>> portal/maven.xml as is done with the other autodeployment properties.

+1 (development)

>> Of course, this will definitely kill the property-less install goal.

We need to document this as part of the install procedure
Best if the installer could prompt for the settings

>> We could also apply some kind of search path specification there as
>> well, (i.e. '${applicationRoot}/../../,
>> /etc/tomcat${autodeployment.catalina.version.major}/,
>> /usr/share/tomcat${autodeployment.catalina.version.major}/, c:/Program
>> Files/Tomcat/'), that would work for most common deployments.
>>
>> If this were only a production issue, I'd just set the property in
>> override.properties and be done with it. However, my primary concern
>> is for development ease of use.
>>
>> Thoughts?
>

> +1, sounds good to me.
>

>> Randy

David Sean Taylor
Bluesunrise Software
david@bluesunrise.com
[office] +01 707 773 4646
[mobile] +01 707 529 9194

Re: J2 autodeployment.catalina.base jetspeed.properties setting

Posted by "Scott T. Weaver" <sc...@binary-designs.net>.
Randy Watler wrote:

> Guys,
>
> I use JPackage RPM installs for tomcat4 and tomcat5 on Linux. Over the
> last day or two, I have been struggling to get a clean startup on
> tomcat5. After I eliminated all of my stupid user tricks, I was able
> to get everything to deploy cleanly only after customizing the setting
> of autodeployment.catalina.base in
> jetspeed.properties/override.properties. The reason this is necessary
> is that the default setting, ${applicationRoot}/../../, does not
> resolve to the base tomcat5 install directory that contains conf,
> (primarily due to copious use of symbolic links and the relocation of
> config files to /etc on Linux). The deployer requires access to this
> directory to install the security.xml file in conf/Catalina/localhost.
>
> I'd like to propose setting the autodeployment.catalina.base property
> from the org.apache.jetspeed.server.home customized build.properties
> setting. In development, this could be integrated into
> portal/maven.xml as is done with the other autodeployment properties.
> Of course, this will definitely kill the property-less install goal.
>
> We could also apply some kind of search path specification there as
> well, (i.e. '${applicationRoot}/../../,
> /etc/tomcat${autodeployment.catalina.version.major}/,
> /usr/share/tomcat${autodeployment.catalina.version.major}/, c:/Program
> Files/Tomcat/'), that would work for most common deployments.
>
> If this were only a production issue, I'd just set the property in
> override.properties and be done with it. However, my primary concern
> is for development ease of use.
>
> Thoughts?

+1, sounds good to me.

> Randy

"Great minds discuss ideas. Average minds discuss events. Small minds discuss people."  - Admiral Hyman Rickover

*           Scott T. Weaver               *
*         <we...@apache.org>             *
*     <http://www.einnovation.com>        *
*   Apache Jetspeed Enterprise Portal     *
*     Apache Pluto Portlet Container      *
* OpenEdit, Website Content Management    *
*     <http://www.openedit.org>           *