Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Dark Before Dawn <da...@gmail.com> on 2011/07/21 19:27:13 UTC

Tomcat Versions

Hi guys,
I am reading this list for a few weeks now. And I wonder where the
differences between different Tomcat versions ie 5.X , 6.X and 7.X are.
Since versions for Tomcat 5 and 6 are still released from time to time.
Are these maintenance releases only or for some linux distributions?
Cheers Darky

Re: Tomcat Versions

Posted by Thad Humphries <th...@gmail.com>.
http://tomcat.apache.org/whichversion.html

On Thu, Jul 21, 2011 at 1:27 PM, Dark Before Dawn <
dark.before.dawn@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi guys,
> I am reading this list for a few weeks now. And I wonder where the
> differences between different Tomcat versions ie 5.X , 6.X and 7.X are.
> Since versions for Tomcat 5 and 6 are still released from time to time. Are
> these maintenance releases only or for some linux distributions?
> Cheers Darky

Marlowe, *Doctor Faustus* (v, 121-24)

Re: Tomcat Versions

Posted by André Warnier <aw...@ice-sa.com>.
Dark Before Dawn wrote:
> Hi guys,
> I am reading this list for a few weeks now. And I wonder where the
> differences between different Tomcat versions ie 5.X , 6.X and 7.X are.
> Since versions for Tomcat 5 and 6 are still released from time to time.
> Are these maintenance releases only or for some linux distributions?

You know, it's pretty much the same as for Windows versions, XP, Vista, Windows 7 and
stuff.  The marketing guys keep pushing for some new bells and whistles, and the
developers do their best to make it happen.  Otherwise customers get bored, and they may
start looking at Jboss or so.
There is also these Java Servlet Specs guys who keep adding new things, so one's got to
keep attention and change a few things left and right.
And then there are these hackers who got nothing better to do with their time than finding
overflowing buffers and such, so you need to keep that under control too.
It just never ends.

Re: Tomcat Versions

Posted by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>.
On 21/07/2011 18:27, Dark Before Dawn wrote:
> Hi guys,
> I am reading this list for a few weeks now. And I wonder where the
> differences between different Tomcat versions ie 5.X , 6.X and 7.X are.
> Since versions for Tomcat 5 and 6 are still released from time to time.
> Are these maintenance releases only or for some linux distributions?

Answers in the FAQ.

Mark