Posted to dev@ignite.apache.org by Denis Magda <dm...@apache.org> on 2019/01/28 20:29:46 UTC

Addressing usability issues with JDK 9-11

Igniters,

I played with the latest Oracle JDK 11 on Mac OS Mojave. Results are sad:

   - Starting a node from cmd (ignite.sh) - FAILED
   - Opening Ignite examples - BAD EXPERIENCE
      - pom.xml wasn't detected automatically, had to select it manually
      - was hard to start the code samples (same issue as with cmd). As a
      committer, I know how to fix it (
      https://apacheignite.readme.io/docs/getting-started#section-running-ignite-with-java-9-10-11),
      but most of the developers have no glue and will give up
      - The step above have to be repeated for every single sample

We briefly discussed this with some community managers and our fellows will
share the fix plan here.

In the meantime

   - Artem agreed to help on the docs side:
   - I've added "How to Use Ignite on JDK 9, 10, 11" as a top banner of
   Ignite website: https://ignite.apache.org/index.html

-
Denis

Re: Addressing usability issues with JDK 9-11

Posted by Dmitriy Pavlov <dp...@apache.org>.
I don't see too much difference in taking master as is (e.g. today) vs 2.7
branch. Originally proposed release probably can be named as 2.7.1.

Ignite compress also is in master, so for 2.8 it is natural to be master
based.

Moreover, please take a look at
We can make some our jars modular without API changes (some will require
breaking changes and 3.0).

Also, please don't be confused about if we have Java 11 support or not.
Provided that we bypass a couple of usability issues, we still don't have
Java 9 full support since we don't test code there. Farther from the master
state, more problem users will have.

Posted by Denis Magda <dm...@apache.org>.

Posted by Dmitriy Pavlov <dp...@apache.org>.

Posted by Denis Magda <dm...@apache.org>.