Posted to user@struts.apache.org by Lixin Chu <li...@gmail.com> on 2006/10/03 01:38:40 UTC

how to avoid action chaining

hi,
I am hearing that action chaining is something we should avoid, however, I
am not sure what's the common practice for this use case:

given User and Department, we need to list User/Department, view
User/Department; when listing User, we also show their department.

When listing Users, we may want to display the department details of the
selected user. after which, we want to come back to the User Listing page.

So to avoid action chaining (from UserListAction to ViewDepartmentAction),
we can use a dispatch action for UserListAction, which includes a
viewDepartment. But in DepartmentListAction, we also have a similar
viewDepartment.

Using action chaining, we can have a seperate ViewDepartmentAction which can
be used by other Action classes also.

So what's your practice for this case ?
lixin