Posted to users@tapestry.apache.org by Martin Grotzke <ma...@javakaffee.de> on 2008/05/10 02:39:47 UTC

T5 application not responding, blocked at PerThreadServiceCreator.createObject

Hi,

yesterday we deployed our application upgraded from T5.0.5 to 5.0.10
(SNAPSHOT 2008-02-11) on the production system, now it hangs from time
to time with several thread blocked at
PerThreadServiceCreator.createObject.

We started with default settings for thetapestry.page-pool.hard-limit
and soft-limit (20, 5). With this we got a page pool exausted error on
one tomcat after some time, while others were fine with this.

Then we increased the soft-limit to 20 and the hard-limit to 100, which
also produced this error, but not always. Even without the pool exausted
error the application hung and did not respond for some minutes (about 3
minutes).

Now we have the hard-limit set to 150, which does not produce any pool
exausted errors, but still the application hangs.

All thread dumps that are created when the application is not responding
show blocked threads at PerThreadServiceCreator.createObject, and I
cannot see anything else that might cause this behaviour.
Looking at jconsole when the app is not responding shows an increasing
number of threads, and an increasing amount of used memory (e.g. from
500M to 800M), CPU is very low all the time.

I have uploaded a complete threaddump at http://senduit.com/a7afc7, an
aggregated version of this can be found at http://senduit.com/0d3f16.

We're running java-1.6.0_02, T5.0.10-SNAPSHOT and Tomcat 6.

Has anybody an idea what might be the reason for this behavior?

Thanx a lot for your help,
cheers,
Martin

Re: T5 application not responding, blocked at PerThreadServiceCreator.createObject

Posted by Martin Grotzke <ma...@javakaffee.de>.
On Fri, 2008-05-09 at 17:47 -0700, Howard Lewis Ship wrote:
> The code in question was certainly changed by a bug fixed related to
> threading issues; rather than hangs, some users were seeing NPEs.
>
> Here's the bug: https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/TAPESTRY-2141
I thought this would not apply to java 1.6, and we don't see NPEs in
ThreadLocal. Do you think the previous implementation of
PerThreadServiceCreator might cause the behaviour of our app?

> Fixed in 5.0.11.
Great! :)

> Can you try upgrading from 5.0.10-SNAPSHOT to 5.0.11?
Yes I can try, but this may take some time until we have this on
production. And having the current situation for two weeks on the
production system is not too far from beeing a desaster ;)
We also ran load tests before shifting the app with the changes to
production, but (unfortunately) didn't experience these problems.

Thanx for your help,
cheers,
Martin

Posted by Howard Lewis Ship <hl...@gmail.com>.

--
Howard M. Lewis Ship

Re: T5 application not responding, blocked at PerThreadServiceCreator.createObject

Posted by Martin Grotzke <ma...@javakaffee.de>.
On Fri, 2008-05-09 at 18:08 -0700, Howard Lewis Ship wrote:
> Perhaps an upgrade to 5.0.11 rather than the .12-SNAPSHOT?  I'm not
> sure how much changed between .10 and .11 API-wise.
I just changed the dependency to 5.0.11. Some changes have to be made,
but hopefully not too many. I'll have a look...

Cheers,
Martin

Posted by Martin Grotzke <ma...@javakaffee.de>.
Hi Howard,

I have upgraded our application to T5.0.11 and deployed it on one tomcat
for testing, this one is running fine now - the issue seems to be solved
with this. Thanx a lot! :)

Though there are still 2 issues introduced with the upgrade to 5.0.11:
- dateField component does not allow specifying format
  (http://www.nabble.com/T5-dateField-component-does-not-allow-specifying-format-%28in-5.0.11%29-%5E-td17168397.html)
- setting initial sort order for grid in T5.0.11
  (http://www.nabble.com/T5-setting-initial-sort-order-for-grid-in-T5.0.11-td17165163.html)

AFAICS the first one is represented by issue
TAPESTRY-2198 which is not yet assigned and has no target fix version.
Can you say what you think regarding this issue?

The second issue seems to be still open, I got no response until now
here on the list. Can you help me with this? Shall I enter an issue for
this one?

For us it's important to be able to tell our customers what's going on,
that we can give a timeline and provide orientation :)

Thanx for your help,
cheers,
Martin

Posted by Howard Lewis Ship <hl...@gmail.com>.

--
Howard M. Lewis Ship

Re: T5 application not responding, blocked at PerThreadServiceCreator.createObject

Posted by Martin Grotzke <ma...@javakaffee.de>.

Posted by Howard Lewis Ship <hl...@gmail.com>.

--
Howard M. Lewis Ship