Posted to dev@lucene.apache.org by Denis Wilson Souza Rosa <de...@gmail.com> on 2012/06/17 05:57:08 UTC

Lucene search Algorithms

Hello Guys!

A few weeks ago I started to study the lucene source code,.But I´m still
getting a little confused because I don´t know what are currently applied
algorithms. Do you have any sort of docs, papers or even books about the
algorithms that were implemented?

Best Regards!

Re: Lucene search Algorithms

Posted by Adrien Grand <jp...@gmail.com>.
Hi Denis,

On Sun, Jun 17, 2012 at 5:57 AM, Denis Wilson Souza Rosa
<de...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Do you have any sort of docs, papers or even books about the
> algorithms that were implemented?

There are really lots of different algorithms being used in Lucene.
Moreover, more and more components are being made pluggable, so that
users can use different algorithms that better suit their needs.

Most of what is said in books on information retrieval and search
engines applies to Lucene (you should definitely start here if you are
not familiar with search engines internals at all), and you should be
able to find more information on Lucene-specific pieces of code
online, for example:
  - how Lucene numeric range queries work
(http://lucene.apache.org/core/old_versioned_docs/versions/3_5_0/api/core/org/apache/lucene/search/NumericRangeQuery.html,
there is a link to a reasearch paper in the "How it works" section),
  - how Lucene uses automata and finite state transducers for
efficient fuzzy query execution, spell checking and its BlockTree
terms dictionary
(http://www.lucidimagination.com/sites/default/files/file/LR2012/AutomatonInvasionLuceneRevolution2012.pdf).

--
Adrien