Posted to dev@cocoon.apache.org by Niclas Hedhman <ni...@hedhman.org> on 2003/02/09 09:21:04 UTC

[OT] Naming of Forrest?

Just wondering about the Apache Forrest project NAME.

Forrest in the dictionary.com list 2 entries;

First;
<quote>
American Confederate general who was active at the battles of Shiloh (1862)
and Chickamauga (1863). He was a founder and the first leader (1866-1869) of
the Ku Klux Klan.
</quote>

Second;
<quote>
forrest, IL (village, FIPS 27026)
  Location: 40.74998 N, 88.40994 W
  Population (1990): 1124 (459 housing units)
  Area: 1.3 sq km (land), 0.0 sq km (water)
  Zip code(s): 61741
</quote>

Shouldn't the name be FOREST (=a lot of trees)???

And the terrible links both to Red Indian massacres and the KKK should be
avoided, shouldn't it?

Can someone who has links to this project, bring it up and possible correct
it?

Niclas

P.S.  Wonderful project, although the docs are a bit out of sync!!!

Re: [OT] Naming of Forrest?

Posted by Niclas Hedhman <ni...@hedhman.org>.
On Sunday 09 February 2003 16:21, Niclas Hedhman wrote:
> And the terrible links both to Red Indian massacres

Disregard this statement... Misreading on my behalf, no red indians!

Niclas

Re: [OT] Naming of Forrest?

Posted by Carlos Araya <ca...@cvc.edu>.

Actually, the name forrest comes from yet a different source.  The
original idea was to complement Gump (a system to automatically build
documentation), As a play of words the project to automatically build
documentation was called Forrest... Forrest and Gump

Carlos
- - --
Carlos E. Araya
web (personal): http://silverwolf-net.net/
Sig:
(7) It is always something
(7a) (corollary). Good, Fast, Cheap: Pick any two (you can't have all
three).
from RFC 1925: The Twelve Networking Truths

Re: [OT] Naming of Forrest?

Posted by Steven Noels <st...@outerthought.org>.
David Crossley wrote:

> Nicola Ken Barozzi wrote:
>
>>Niclas Hedhman wrote:
>>
>>>Just wondering about the Apache Forrest project NAME.
>>
>>http://xml.apache.org/forrest
>>http://jakarta.apache.org/gump
>

> Do you need more clues yet Niclas?
>
> This could become an FAQ.

... or we could change the feathered forest in our logo into a singleton
tree stating "this is not a forrest"

or rename the project into "not a lot of trees"

naaaah - let's just display a link to http://us.imdb.com/Title?0109830

;-D

</Steven>
stevenn at outerthought.org                stevenn at apache.org

Re: [OT] Naming of Forrest?

Posted by David Crossley <cr...@indexgeo.com.au>.
Nicola Ken Barozzi wrote:
> Niclas Hedhman wrote:
> > Just wondering about the Apache Forrest project NAME.
>
> http://xml.apache.org/forrest
> http://jakarta.apache.org/gump

Do you need more clues yet Niclas?

This could become an FAQ.

--David

Re: [OT] Naming of Forrest?

Posted by Nicola Ken Barozzi <ni...@apache.org>.

Niclas Hedhman wrote, On 09/02/2003 9.21:
> Just wondering about the Apache Forrest project NAME.

http://xml.apache.org/forrest
http://jakarta.apache.org/gump

;-)

             - verba volant, scripta manent -

RE: [OT] Naming of Forrest?

Posted by Luca Morandini <lu...@tin.it>.

As others pointed out, it is named after the "Forrest Gump" movie.

There's a catch though: since that movie's main character was named (by his mother) after the CSA General Nathan Bedford Forrest,
the correct answer is the first entry of the dictionary.

               Luca Morandini
               GIS Consultant
              lmorandini@ieee.org