Posted to dev@ibatis.apache.org by "Hoffman, Ira" <ir...@merck.com> on 2005/05/04 20:04:14 UTC

RE: Inheritance

All,

I have a table that stores different classes that are derived from the same
base class. The difference is the number of elements in a list. I want the
list to be initialized in the constructor...so the size of the list is based
on a data member of the parent class. Each sub class has access to this. Is
there a way to handle this with ibatis?

Thanks,
Ira

Notice:  This e-mail message, together with any attachments, contains information of Merck & Co., Inc. (One Merck Drive, Whitehouse Station, New Jersey, USA 08889), and/or its affiliates (which may be known outside the United States as Merck Frosst, Merck Sharp & Dohme or MSD and in Japan, as Banyu) that may be confidential, proprietary copyrighted and/or legally privileged. It is intended solely for the use of the individual or entity named on this message.  If you are not the intended recipient, and have received this message in error, please notify us immediately by reply e-mail and then delete it from your system.

Re: Inheritance

Posted by Brandon Goodin <br...@gmail.com>.
I'm not tracking what you mean. Classes in a database? number of items
in a list? based on a data member of the parent class? subclass has
access to "this". Ira, throw me a bone here my friend. What you are
saying makes absolutely no sense. Please, give us some more context.
Provide an example of what you are talking about. Then! we can
help...maybe ;-)

Thanks :)
Brandon

Re: Inheritance

Posted by Clinton Begin <cl...@gmail.com>.
Hi Ira,

You lost me at the "numbe of elements in a list" part too. But the good news
is that I think it's largely irrelevant to the topic at hand, which is
inheritance.

The .NET version of iBATIS supports the <subclass> element, but currently
the Java version does not. This is priority #1 on my list right now, and it
shouldn't be a difficult enhancement. My only problem is finding the time to
even get to my #1 priority item. ;-)

In any case, have a look at the generic (.NET and Java) developer guide by
Ted Husted and tell me if the subclass element will work for you. If so,
then you can look forward to it in the next version of iBATIS.

Cheers,
Clinton