Posted to dev@couchdb.apache.org by Christopher Lenz <cm...@gmx.de> on 2008/03/29 01:44:29 UTC

Status Update

Hey all,

we made some progress lately with moving the infrastructure over,
namely:

1) Most of the repository has been imported. Future checkins and
checkouts should be poinrted exclusively to the ASF repos at

   <http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator/couchdb/>

The mochiweb branch is still missing. I'll get it synced and imported
over the next couple of days.

2) The wiki space has been set up, and a lot of the content has been
copied over:

   <http://wiki.apache.org/couchdb/>

The front page still needs to be updated, and I guess there's still
content that needs to be migrated. Noah?

3) Issue tracking has been set up:

   <https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/COUCHDB>

The old issues from googlecode that were still open have been migrated
over (manually).

4) The web site is in svn and also available via:

   <http://incubator.apache.org/couchdb/>

Mentors: can the status page be updated to reflect this progress?

Also, I think the link to CouchDB from <http://incubator.apache.org/projects/index.html
 > should be in alphabetical order, and it's still missing from the
projects links in the right-hand sidebar. And what's the process for
checking off work items on that page?

Cheers,
--
Christopher Lenz
   cmlenz at gmx.de
   http://www.cmlenz.net/

Re: Status Update

Posted by Noah Slater <ns...@bytesexual.org>.
In the previous attachment, the following change should be made:

-RedirectMatch permanent Project_Road_Map http://wiki.apache.org/couchdb/RoadMap
+RedirectMatch permanent Project_Road_Map http://incubator.apache.org/couchdb/roadmap.html

--
Noah Slater <http://bytesexual.org/>

Re: Status Update

Posted by Noah Slater <ns...@bytesexual.org>.
> If the original intention of the uppcasing is to draw attention to for
> example reading important things such as the README file, having 8 such
> files (all "polluting" the root directory) is unlikely to help.

DEVELOPMENT was split off from README so that the Installation instructions on
the website would make sense (being generated from this file) and
TROUBLESHOOTING was added so that it could also be included in the website.

Following your comments I have:

 * Merged DEVELOPMENT back into README
 * Moved TROUBLESHOOTING to http://wiki.apache.org/couchdb/Troubleshooting
 * Updated the Wiki to point to the new page plus README/NEWS in Subversion

As for the reasoning behind these files, I concede that the last two were a
little much, but as for the rest, they have been part of UNIX lore for since I
was knee-high to a grasshopper. ;)

  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Readme

>>  /www/incubator.apache.org/couchdb
>>
>> Are you suggesting that this should be a Subversion checkout?
>
> Yes.

Okay, I have changed the following directory to be a Subversion check out:

  /www/incubator.apache.org/couchdb

It concerns me that this exposes the .svn directories to the web so I did a
quick check to see what the other directories were doing. Of 75 directories, 48
of them were also using direct check outs, so I figure it's standard:

  abdera, activemq, agila, audit, cayenne, depot, doap_converter, ftpserver,
  graffito, guides, harmony, images, imperius, incubation, ip-clearance, ivy,
  jdo, jspwiki, learn, log4php, lokahi, lucene.net, lucene4c, nmaven, ofbiz,
  official, old-activemq, old-servicemix, openejb, openjpa, pig, projects, qpid,
  river, roller, servicemix, shindig, stdcxx, style, tika, triplesoup, tsik,
  tuscany, uima, wicket, xap xmlbeanscxx

Of course, the .svn directories are available via HTTP:

  http://incubator.apache.org/depot/.svn/

Perhaps it might be an idea to block this in Apache?

> And build.sh now relies on sitting next to a trunk checkout to pull in
> those other files. I'd prefer it remained self-contained, at least to
> the extent that you don't need to checkout both trunk and site to
> regenerate the site.

I have reverted my changes to the site build system.

Of course, we have no way of including the changelog or installation
instructions on the website, which is a great shame.

Can you think of any other way round this?

> And I would've really preferred having this discussion before you checked in
> the changes.

I'm sorry that you feel this way.

One of the first things I read when joining CouchDB was:

  It's OK to be aggressive with the edits! All edits are versioned and monitored
  and it's easier to ask forgiveness than permission, so have at it.

  http://www.couchdbwiki.com/index.php?title=Main_Page&oldid=3270

This certainly has set the tone for the last 6 months and it surprises me that
you feel such a trivial change to the website should have been discussed first.

Noah Slater <http://bytesexual.org/>

Re: Status Update

Posted by Christopher Lenz <cm...@gmx.de>.
On 30.03.2008, at 17:00, Noah Slater wrote:
>>> * I have updated all the source documentation to use Markdown
>>> following
>>>  Chris's changes for the CouchDB incubation site.
>>
>> What source documentation is that?
>
> AUTHORS, BUGS, DEVELOPMENT, NEWS, NOTICE, README, THANKS,
> TROUBLESHOOTING

Wow, at some point the use of all uppercase filenames does get old :P.
If the original intention of the uppcasing is to draw attention to for
example reading important things such as the README file, having 8
such files (all "polluting" the root directory) is unlikely to help.

Also, I have to wonder whether keeping some of those docs purely (or
at least mostly) online would not be better. Troubleshooting, for
example, is to me a perfect example of what to best keep in the Wiki:
it can be easily extended when people run into problems that could not
be anticipated when a release was made (or when they pulled the
source). I'd prefer simply adding a link to the wiki doc to the
README. Same with BUGS and DEVELOPMENT. Merge the basics into README,
point to the web site and/or wiki for details.

>>> * I have added the /site/publish.sh script which can be run
>>> directly from a
>>> source checkout on minotaur to build and publish the site.
>>
>> See above, this needs to be as simple (and was) as just an `svn up`.
>
> As far as I can tell, the site is kept here:
>
>  /www/incubator.apache.org/couchdb
>
> Are you suggesting that this should be a Subversion checkout?

Yes.

> All my publish.sh script does in run ./build.sh and rsync the files
> in the local
> directory tree to the above hard-coded path on the local filesystem.

And build.sh now relies on sitting next to a trunk checkout to pull in
those other files. I'd prefer it remained self-contained, at least to
the extent that you don't need to checkout both trunk and site to
regenerate the site.

> As far as the devision of information, I can see the site evolving
> to include
> the core/official documentation (like it has now) while the Wiki is
> more of a
> collection of ideas/guides/thoughts/sketches etc. Again, this fits
> perfectly
> with the idea of including the site as part of the tarball.

I think having a mirror of the web site installed to local systems is
weird. Installed documentation, even in HTML format, is not the same
as the web site. Different audience, different purposes. There's
overlap, sure, but overlap doesn't mean the two should be the same
thing.

   cmlenz at gmx.de
   http://www.cmlenz.net/

Re: Status Update

Posted by Noah Slater <ns...@bytesexual.org>.
>> * I have updated all the source documentation to use Markdown following
>>   Chris's changes for the CouchDB incubation site.
>
> What source documentation is that?

AUTHORS, BUGS, DEVELOPMENT, NEWS, NOTICE, README, THANKS, TROUBLESHOOTING

>> * I have removed the generated HTML files from Subversion, this didn't seem
>>   like a good use of revision control.
>
> Oops, we'll have to revert that. From
> <http://incubator.apache.org/guides/sites.html>
>
> "Regardless of which tool you use, the web site should be maintained in the
> svn repository, and include the site generation tool as a binary file. This
> simplifies the process of site generation and enables changes to the site to
> be made by any committer. The generated site should also be checked into
> svn. This allows the generated site to be relocated to any part of the Apache
> site after incubation is complete."

I must profess that I can't follow the logic here. Why would keeping the files
out of Subversion prevent the site from being relocated?

Either way, I have reverted my change in revision 642749.

> For some reason these changes don't seem to have come through on
> couchdb-commits@ yet. I'm looking into them now.

Yes, neither has this thread appeared on the development list. Strange.

>> * I have added the /site/publish.sh script which can be run directly from a
>> source checkout on minotaur to build and publish the site.
>
> See above, this needs to be as simple (and was) as just an `svn up`.

As far as I can tell, the site is kept here:

  /www/incubator.apache.org/couchdb

Are you suggesting that this should be a Subversion checkout?

All my publish.sh script does in run ./build.sh and rsync the files in the local
directory tree to the above hard-coded path on the local filesystem.

> I don't think we should include the site in trunk, if only because of
> the requirement of keeping the generated files in the repository.

We could relocate the source files to /trunk/doc and provide a script which
could build the HTML in different places depending on invocation.

An example of how this might work:

  $ trunk/doc/build.sh      # builds into trunk/doc

  $ trunk/doc/build.sh site # builds into the site directory

This way, normal users can build the site and install it locally under
/usr/share/doc/html and we can build the site and keep it under /site as needed.

> Having generated HTML docs in tarballs is certainly a nice goal, but we
> should analyse what we'd like there and how to best achieve it.

As it stands, and as I see it, there is nothing on the website which wouldn't
also be appropriate to install on a local system.

Re: Status Update

Posted by Christopher Lenz <cm...@gmx.de>.
On 30.03.2008, at 07:10, Noah Slater wrote:
> * I have updated all the source documentation to use Markdown
> following Chris's
>   changes for the CouchDB incubation site.

What source documentation is that?

> * I have removed the generated HTML files from Subversion, this
> didn't seem
>   like a good use of revision control.

Oops, we'll have to revert that. From <http://incubator.apache.org/guides/sites.html

   "Regardless of which tool you use, the web site should be
maintained in the svn repository, and include the site generation tool
as a binary file. This simplifies the process of site generation and
enables changes to the site to be made by any committer. The generated
site should also be checked into svn. This allows the generated site
to be relocated to any part of the Apache site after incubation is
complete."

> * I have modified the site build script to construct the following
> pages directly
>   from /trunk/README, /trunk/TROUBLESHOOTING, /trunk/NEWS in the
> source:
>
>     http://incubator.apache.org/couchdb/docs/installation.html
>     http://incubator.apache.org/couchdb/docs/troubleshooting.html
>     http://incubator.apache.org/couchdb/docs/changelog.html
>
>   Chris, you may not like my specific modifications, I have no
> attachment to
>   the current implementation, but it seemed like the easiest way to
> get this
>   done on FreeBSD. I am more than happy to change things around.

For some reason these changes don't seem to have come through on
couchdb-commits@ yet. I'm looking into them now.

> * I have added the /site/publish.sh script which can be run directly
> from a
>   source checkout on minotaur to build and publish the site.

See above, this needs to be as simple (and was) as just an `svn up`.

> * I would like to suggest we move the /site directory into the /
> trunk so that
>   the documentation can be built as part of the package at
> distribution
>   time. From my perspective as the Debian maintainer for CouchDB I
> would dearly
>   like to include a static copy of the HTML documentation in the
> package.

I don't think we should include the site in trunk, if only because of
the requirement of keeping the generated files in the repository.

Having generated HTML docs in tarballs is certainly a nice goal, but
we should analyse what we'd like there and how to best achieve it.
That includes defining what kind of docs we want on the website, what
on the wiki, and what should come with the releases. It gets tricky
when there is overlap.

Cheers,
Chris
--
Christopher Lenz
   cmlenz at gmx.de
   http://www.cmlenz.net/

Re: Status Update

Posted by Noah Slater <ns...@bytesexual.org>.
Hello,

Just to update you on my activity:

 * The new Wiki migration/consolidation is now complete:

     http://wiki.apache.org/couchdb/

 * Every page in the old Wiki has been replaced with a per-page human readable
   redirection to the correct page on the new Wiki.

 * I have produced an Apache recipe for redirecting requests from the old Wiki
   to the new Wiki while still preserving the topic of the resource they were
   looking for. A sample configuration has been attached to this email.

   I am currently hosting this on my personal site and you can test:

     http://bytesexual.org/CouchDB_in_the_Wild

   I am more than willing to host this redirecting properly, just ask.

[...]

   If this is agreed on, I can make the changes right away.

Noah Slater <http://bytesexual.org/>

Re: Status Update

Posted by Noah Slater <ns...@bytesexual.org>.
On Fri, Mar 28, 2008 at 08:47:40PM -0600, Jan Lehnardt wrote:
> Thanks for all your effort here :)

Seconded :p

--
Noah Slater <http://bytesexual.org/>

Re: Status Update

Posted by Jan Lehnardt <ja...@apache.org>.
Heya Christopher,
On Mar 28, 2008, at 18:44 , Christopher Lenz wrote:

> Hey all,
>
> we made some progress lately with moving the infrastructure over,
> namely:

Thanks for all your effort here :)

Cheers
Jan

Re: Status Update

Posted by Matthieu Riou <ma...@offthelip.org>.
On 3/30/08, Ted Leung <tw...@sauria.com> wrote:

> On Mar 28, 2008, at 5:44 PM, Christopher Lenz wrote:
> >
> > Mentors: can the status page be updated to reflect this progress?
>

> Done.
>

> > Also, I think the link to CouchDB from <http://incubator.apache.org/
> > projects/index.html> should be in alphabetical order, and it's
> > still missing from the projects links in the right-hand sidebar.
> > And what's the process for checking off work items on that page?
>

> Done.
>
> As far as checking of work items, someone needs to go back through
> the history and fill in some of the dates.    I think that we still
> need to square the paperwork on granting the ASF the code - Damien
> FAXed it, but off the top if my head I can't recall where I need to
> go to check.   If someone else remembers, that would be great,
> otherwise I'll try to look at it tomorrow

It's in grants.txt in the foundation private repo. I have the following
entry for CouchDB:

CouchDB 0.7.2:damien Katz

When it's been checked-in is not immediately evident from the logs but I'd
say either March 20 or 26.

Cheers,
Matthieu

Ted

Re: Status Update

Posted by Ted Leung <tw...@sauria.com>.

Re: Status Update

Posted by Damien Katz <da...@gmail.com>.
I'm trying to set this up with my hosting provider. I currently have a
support ticket in with them because the current attempts to set up
redirects with the provider's automated tools haven't worked.
Hopefully this will be resolved soon.

-Damien

Re: Status Update

Posted by Noah Slater <ns...@bytesexual.org>.

Re: Status Update

Posted by Noah Slater <ns...@bytesexual.org>.
On Sat, Mar 29, 2008 at 01:44:29AM +0100, Christopher Lenz wrote:
> 2) The wiki space has been set up, and a lot of the content has been
> copied over:
>
>   <http://wiki.apache.org/couchdb/>
>
> The front page still needs to be updated, and I guess there's still
> content that needs to be migrated. Noah?

Unfortunately this process is entirely manual, I am currently working my way
through the old wiki, correcting spelling/grammar, making general improvements
and converting to MoinMoin format. I am about 50% complete with this task.

The work should be finished by tonight and I will compile a mod_rewrite recipe
for Damien so we can 301 redirect the old URIs to the new wiki.

--
Noah Slater <http://bytesexual.org/>