Posted to dev@commons.apache.org by James Strachan <ja...@yahoo.co.uk> on 2002/01/31 20:14:49 UTC

[betwixt] various changes...

I've made a few changes to the betwixt package in the sandbox

* used a neater Ant build file (from digester) which among other things
makes better generation of cross-referenced javadoc as well as being much
tidier. I've also added all the various sample programs and common test
cases as targets

* improved the documentation somewhat, including new dependencies and more
descriptions in PROPOSAL.html and STATUS.html. Also added Robert as a
committer and started work in an OVERVIEW.html.

* added a sample program that uses the RSS sample from digester to
autogenerate the XML representation of the RSS beans. As we explore
customization of the generated XML format, we should be able to reorder &
rename elements and so forth to produce a valid RSS file from the beans.
i.e. the RSS demo in digester is a good test case for betwixt. Adding
support for DTD declarations sounds like a good idea also.

* an early version of BeanReader which extends Digester and uses the
XMLIntrospector to configure digester rules. This is extremely alpha and an
experiment to see if the current guise of betwixt is capable of being
bidrectional. Betwixt started life as being bean -> XML so it could well
need some refactoring to really do both ways around. Right now the XML ->
bean via digester is pretty crude - handling type conversions and
collections/arrays/indexed properties needs serious attention

James

Re: [betwixt] various changes...

Posted by James Strachan <ja...@yahoo.co.uk>.
From: "robert burrell donkin" <ro...@mac.com>
> drat!
>
> i didn't get this email until just after i'd just committed some changes -
> hope i didn't step on you toes...

No problem. Bless that CVS merge thing.

> those changes all sounds good but have you committed them yet? (i'm a bit
> worried since i can't see them when i update using cvs)

Yes all in CVS.

BTW I've started to experiment with an XML format for chaniging the betwixt
formatting rules - more on this in a day or two.

James

Re: [betwixt] various changes...

Posted by robert burrell donkin <ro...@mac.com>.
drat!

i didn't get this email until just after i'd just committed some changes -
hope i didn't step on you toes...

those changes all sounds good but have you committed them yet? (i'm a bit
worried since i can't see them when i update using cvs)

- robert