Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by "Kumar, Atul" <a....@imperial.ac.uk> on 2005/11/03 14:45:35 UTC

[users@httpd] How to access files via apache stored in InItCaps

Hi All,
     I am not an expert in apache so please ignore if this question
sounds silly.

I have placed some text file in one of the folder ( htdocs ) in apache ,
File name is   TestPage.txt so when I try to access this page from
browser message comes as page not found . On checking error message on
log files I can see that it displays that file      testpage.txt not
found so its loking for "lowercase" file name .
    How to force apache so that it looks for actual name ( case
sensitive ) of file rather then changing it to lowercase.

Atul

Re: [users@httpd] How to access files via apache stored in InItCaps

Posted by Joshua Slive <js...@gmail.com>.
On 11/3/05, Kumar, Atul <a....@imperial.ac.uk> wrote:
> Hi All,
>      I am not an expert in apache so please ignore if this question
> sounds silly.
>
> I have placed some text file in one of the folder ( htdocs ) in apache ,
> File name is   TestPage.txt so when I try to access this page from
> browser message comes as page not found . On checking error message on
> log files I can see that it displays that file      testpage.txt not
> found so its loking for "lowercase" file name .
>     How to force apache so that it looks for actual name ( case
> sensitive ) of file rather then changing it to lowercase.

Apache does not, by default, change the case.  Are you sure that you
typed the proper case into your browser?  What EXACTLY does the error
log and access log for this request look like.

Basic case-sensitivity issues can be solved with mod_speling.

Joshua.

Re: [users@httpd] How to access files via apache stored in InItCaps

Posted by "Neil A. Hillard" <hi...@whl.co.uk>.
Hi,

Emmanuel E wrote:
> On Windows Apache is case-insensitive to filenames. It is case-sensitive to
> Aliases though. However it logs the actual case-sensitive request sent by
> the browser. I just checked it now.

Technically it is the operating system that is case insensitive (in the
case of Windows), not the application.

				Neil.

--
Neil Hillard                    hillardn@whl.co.uk
Westland Helicopters Ltd.       http://www.whl.co.uk/

Disclaimer: This message does not necessarily reflect the
             views of Westland Helicopters Ltd.

Re: [users@httpd] How to access files via apache stored in InItCaps

Posted by Emmanuel E <em...@gmx.net>.
On Windows Apache is case-insensitive to filenames. It is case-sensitive to
Aliases though. However it logs the actual case-sensitive request sent by
the browser. I just checked it now.

If youre on unix I have no clue actually, but I feel it should work if you
type TestPage.txt in the browser instead of testpage.txt. Does this also not
work?

Or do you want to make Apache case insensitive?

Hope this helps,
Cheers,
Emmanuel

Posted by Boysenberry Payne <bo...@humaniteque.com>.
You could use a registry expression with mod_rewrite something like:

RewriteEngine on
RewriteRule   ^(.*)[Tt][Ee][Ss][Tt][Pp][Aa][Gg][Ee]\.txt$	/testpage.txt

This is by no means a great example of either mod_rewrite or rexexp
but it's a start...

If you have .htaccess files enabled you can put it in there...

Boysenberry

boysenberrys.com | habitatlife.com | selfgnosis.com