Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Mark Eggers <it...@yahoo.com> on 2002/10/03 20:50:54 UTC

Tomcat 4.1.12, index.jsp, and application.getServerInfo()

I'm using the following setup:

Windows/2000 Pro - latest patches
IIS 5
jdk 1.3.1_04

Tomcat 4.1.12 (binary, installed as a service)
mod_jk 1.20

Various other packages (Cocoon 2.1-dev, Jetspeed,
Xindice) are installed and working well.

However, the Tomcat index.jsp page seems to want to
call the following:

<%= application.getServerInfo() %>

which does not appear to exist.

IE 6.0.28 does the normal Microsoft thing and ignores
whatever it doesn't understand or considers to be an
error.  The line appears in the title of the page, and
not in the body.  Talk about consistant . . .

Opera 6.05 prints the
<%= application.getServerInfo() %> on the page.

Netscape 7 considers this page to be an
application/octet-stream and asks if I would like to
download it.

However, other jsp pages with tags work fine in
Netscape 7.

I have tried commenting the lines out in index.jsp,
but Netscape continues to treat this as an
application/octet-stream.

I've also tried turning on and off the documents
setting for the virtual directory (sets up a series of
files to serve up if localhost/tomcat/ is requested).

Each time I made a change, I made sure to clean out
the work directory and my cache so that I wouldn't be
getting a cached value.

Netscape still considers this to be an
application/octet-stream when going throw IIS.

However, Netscape 7 appears to work fine with this
page when going at the default Tomcat port (8080).

My first guess is that the mime type really is
application/octet-stream since the tag is not being
found.  That would mean that Netscape is doing the
correct thing.  However, since index.jsp works on port
8080 for Netscape, it appears that jk 1.20 is setting
the mime type?

So - where is application.getServerInfo() ?

/mde/

just my two cents . . . .