Posted to fop-dev@xmlgraphics.apache.org by John Kattestaart <jk...@delias.nl> on 2001/04/03 09:39:37 UTC

OT: how to print PDF-files without previewing on Unix/Linux

Hi,

Sorry for the slightly off-topic question about PDF.
FOP is a great way to build your PDF-documents, but the problem arrises when
you're on UNIX/Linux. How to print them.  If i don't want to preview but
just  send it to the printer, is there a commandline interface for Acrobat
Reader?
I know many people are working on Unix/Linux to build PDF documents with
Fop, so i suppose you've been there...
Thanks in advance.

With regards,

John Kattestaart
jkattestaart@delias.nl

Scaling an SVG

Posted by Alex McLintock <al...@yahoo.com>.
I've been looking through the SVG examples in the 0.18-1 DEV distribution and I can't see how
to scale an svg which has been dropped into a FOP document.

I have some xml something like:

...Stuff before...
<fo:table-cell width='15cm' height='9cm'>
<fo:block space-before.optimum="10pt"
          space-after.optimum="10pt"
          width='15cm' height='9cm'>

<fo:instream-foreign-object  width='15cm' height='9cm'>
#SVG
</fo:instream-foreign-object>
...Stuff after...

And I am inserting the SVG xml directly into the place marked with #SVG.
You may have guessed I want the XVG graphic to be 15 by 9 cm

The SVG starts with this:

<?xml version="1.0"?>
<svg:svg style='font-size:12pt; font-family:sans-serif; stroke-width:1pt;'
width='700pt' height='300pt'>
etc etc etc

Now what I get is a pdf with the SVG image taking up the full width of the table
(or page) at 23cm and scaled vertically to preserve the aspect ratio.

Is this a bug or is there something else I can do to scale my SVG to keep it within
a 15cm x 9 cm box.

Alex

=====
Alex McLintock        alex@OWAL.co.uk

OpenWeb Analysts Ltd, http://www.OWAL.co.uk/
Software for Complex Websites.

Publisher of       http://www.DiverseBooks.com
                   http://www.galactic-guide.com/

Re: how to print PDF-files without previewing on Unix/Linux

Posted by Maurice Rice <ma...@sympatico.ca>.
This may help:

Command line printing on UNIX is described in the help file distributed with
the the reader: Haven't used it myself but the documentation says that the
following command will send a file to the default printer.
% cat sample.pdf | acroread -toPostScript | lp

I have successfully used the following command to send a silent print job to
an arbitrary Windows printer.
Use the /t command line switch switch as documented in the acrobat SDK:
AcroRd32.exe /t "fileToPrint.pdf" "port" "driver"
where the port and driver are the values that appear in the printer
properties dialog