Posted to soap-user@ws.apache.org by Julian Gosnell <ju...@yahoo.com> on 2001/08/06 13:08:05 UTC

making a Servlet a SOAP service...

I'm considering a number of design solutions for a web
app that I am playing with. I would like to expose a
service API via SOAP and a report/admin interface via
a Servlet.

1. Implement 3 objects, a Servlet, a SOAP Service and
some shared state and tell the two services how to
find the shared state.

2. Push the shared state into one of the two services
and tell the other how to locate it.

3. Collapse all 3 objects into one. i.e. a Servlet,
with some of it's interface exposed via SOAP,
containing all state.

I am leaning towards 3 at the moment. It looks like I
will have to write a custom Provider, which will, in
some way, locate a reference to the Servlet instance
so that SOAP calls can be dispatched onto it.

I am concerned that this design may be breaking all
sorts of architectural taboos.

Should I disregard any of the above 3 out-of-hand as
just plain wrong ?

Has anyone implemented a Provider which does what I
describe in (3).

Thanks for your time,

Jules