Posted to dev@maven.apache.org by Olivier Lamy <ol...@apache.org> on 2012/09/12 10:44:11 UTC

Plan for git migration

Hi Folks,
So the vote passed, now it's time for volunteers to use their fingers :-).
I have started a page [1] for ETA of migration (note the Volunteer
column :-) ) and for discussion on some stuff (plugins shared)

Thanks
--
Olivier Lamy
Talend: http://coders.talend.com

Re: Plan for git migration

Posted by Olivier Lamy <ol...@apache.org>.
2012/9/12 Baptiste MATHUS <ml...@batmat.net>:
> Hi,
>
> +1.
> Though I'm volunteering to help, as I'm not Maven committer, I don't know
> if I'm really allowed to help.
> I could help on some projects if needed (I can see maybe enforcer & release
> for example).
>
> By the way, I'm not sure how this is supposed to work. After reading
> Kristian comment, I discovered there's actually already many (if not all)
> Maven projects that seem migrated (?).
> http://git.apache.org/ Is this something that was done by someone during
> the night? :-).
Apache Git mirror exists for long time (mirrored to github.apache.org/apache).
That's not new (just some communication missing imho).
Those are only for read and ease use of git-svn.
Write/cannonical asf git repos are here: https://git-wip-us.apache.org/repos/asf

> Or maybe that repos are not correct in some way (Kristian's comment say
> some are already usable as-is)?
>
> What makes a repo correct or not to be used as-is?
>
> Looking at the repo structure from the HTTP interface, I'm under the
> impression this is a git repo created by git svn (or svn2git?), .
> My naive first guess understanding is that there already may be a batch of
> "maven git scripts" running on the infrastructure that would git-svn the
> main repo, then filter-branch this repo for a bunch of directories
> (release, enforcer, etc.).
>
> If this is so, not totally sure what would be left?
moving to https://git-wip-us.apache.org (and various stuff) move some
svn paths to read only.
fix github mirroring.
etc..

Re: Plan for git migration

Posted by Olivier Lamy <ol...@apache.org>.
2012/9/12 Kristian Rosenvold <kr...@gmail.com>:
> I'm a long time lurker on infra and #asfinfra; are these the sole places for
> discussing this stuff ?
yup.

> Kristian
>
> 2012/9/12 Olivier Lamy <ol...@apache.org>:
>> 2012/9/12 Kristian Rosenvold <kr...@gmail.com>:
>>> Just to clarify additionally: There are existing read-only clones of a
>>> lot of our projects (i'm sure infra can make the rest if they have
>>> value)
>>>
>>> Some of these are excellent and  of high quality (surefire, m3 + it's
>>> are the ones I know of) while at least maven-plugins is useless (due
>>> to a strange interpretation of tags - try checking out a tag in the
>>> current maven-plugins git clone !!!). So we need to collect the
>>> assessments of which repos are "migration ready" and which are not.
>>> Any community input on this would be great! (If you've used the clone
>>> and find that tags/branches etc work according to expectations we're
>>> cool)
>>>
>>> For those that are migration ready the process is is something like this:
>>>
>>> 1. Have infra make the existing read-only mirror the official master.
>>> 2. Change scm url in pom

Re: Plan for git migration

Posted by Kristian Rosenvold <kr...@gmail.com>.

Re: Plan for git migration

Posted by Mark Struberg <st...@yahoo.de>.
I'm +1 for keep em.

Reason is that this allows quicker digging for some history info. I'm e.g. not sure if moves and stuff gets fully resolved with git-svn. Structure changes are another candidate of loosing history in git-svn (that would hit the maven-3 module).

LieGrue,
strub

Posted by Benson Margulies <bi...@gmail.com>.
I don't think we get control of this, but I think you'll be happy with
what we do get. Infra has a repeatable process for converting svn
repos to git.

Re: Plan for git migration

Posted by Baptiste MATHUS <ml...@batmat.net>.
For the record, I just tested a fresh clean install using the svn
repository for git failing tags maven-release-3, 4 & 5: that's almost good
news, they're also failing there.

Cheers

Sauvez un arbre,
Mangez un castor !

Re: Plan for git migration

Posted by Baptiste MATHUS <ml...@batmat.net>.
Hi,

Re: Plan for git migration

Posted by Kristian Rosenvold <kr...@zenior.no>.

Re: Plan for git migration

Posted by Olivier Lamy <ol...@apache.org>.

Re: Plan for git migration

Posted by Baptiste MATHUS <ml...@batmat.net>.

Re: Plan for git migration

Posted by Olivier Lamy <ol...@apache.org>.
+1 for keep svn references.

Re: Plan for git migration

Posted by Baptiste MATHUS <ml...@batmat.net>.

Re: Plan for git migration

Posted by Kristian Rosenvold <kr...@gmail.com>.

RE: Plan for git migration

Posted by "Nord, James" <JN...@nds.com>.

Re: Plan for git migration

Posted by Olivier Lamy <ol...@apache.org>.

Re: Plan for git migration

Posted by Kristian Rosenvold <kr...@gmail.com>.

Re: Plan for git migration

Posted by Baptiste MATHUS <ml...@batmat.net>.
Hi,

Re: Plan for git migration

Posted by Olivier Lamy <ol...@apache.org>.
2012/9/12 Benson Margulies <bi...@gmail.com>:
> Who is going to open the initial negotiation with INFRA?
looks to be one of my task :-)

Re: Plan for git migration

Posted by Benson Margulies <bi...@gmail.com>.

Re: Plan for git migration

Posted by Olivier Lamy <ol...@apache.org>.
Hi
See https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/INFRA-5266
Those tree svn paths will be readonly now for migration.

Re: Plan for git migration

Posted by Mark Derricutt <ma...@talios.com>.
I see mention of the current git-mirros of the svn tree. I recommended caution in just using these, or just looking at these as currently they're not used for releases, and there's well known issues with maven/git releases ( single tag/branch repository wide, maven releases only from the root etc. )

With that in mind - is there a document/plan for how the svn repository will be carved up into smaller git repositories for the various different release cadences of projects?