Posted to dev@directory.apache.org by Shawn McKinney <sm...@apache.org> on 2015/01/23 16:56:36 UTC

Re: Apache Directory & Apachecon US 2015 Austin

Hello!

I have submitted the following proposals for talks to ApacheCon North America:

1. The Anatomy of a Secure Web application using Apache Fortress - http://events.linuxfoundation.org/cfp/proposals/4828/4076

Although the Java EE architecture provides the necessary enablement, most developers do not have the time or the training to take full advantage of all the available tools. This technical session describes and demos an end-to-end application security architecture using Apache Wicket and Fortress. It includes practical, hands-on guidance to properly implementing authentication, authorization, and confidentiality with Java EE security. In addition to finding out where the security controls must be placed and why, attendees will be provided with code they can use to kick-start their own highly secure Java web applications.

2. RBAC enable your Java Web apps using Apache Directory and Fortress - http://events.linuxfoundation.org/cfp/proposals/4828/4078

Fortress has recently been added as sub-project to the Apache Directory project. This session will provide an overview of the project and its roadmap.

3. Using Roles for Access Control is not Role-Based Access Control - http://events.linuxfoundation.org/cfp/proposals/4828/4077

Misnomers abound as to what constitutes a working role-based access control (RBAC) system. With ANSI RBAC, groups are not roles and resource connections are not sessions. This presentation explains what ANSI RBAC is and how it can be applied. It dispels long-standing myths. Additionally you’ll receive tips on how to implement a successful RBAC program using well-established best practices. The session also introduces you to Apache Fortress, a fully compliant RBAC implementation.

4. The Case for RBAC Standardization in the Directory - http://events.linuxfoundation.org/cfp/proposals/4828/4079

Discussion about efforts to standardize the RBAC protocol in the directory.  The standardization covers two broad areas:

1. A standard LDAP schema for RBAC
2. A standard LDAP protocol for RBAC

Topics of discussion include the status, rationale and technical details of these standardization efforts.

Any comments welcome.

Cheers,

Shawn

Posted by "Zheng, Kai" <ka...@intel.com>.
Hi Shawn,

Thanks for your detailed guidance. It's great for me to learn about this new ApacheDS sub project Fortress.

Regards,
Kai

Posted by Shawn McKinney <sm...@apache.org>.
On 01/24/2015 06:27 AM, Zheng, Kai wrote:
> Hi Shawn,
>
> Great topics and they're very interesting. I wish I could be an audience of them. :-)
>
> Do you have some materials for me to learn about ? Thanks.

Hi Kai,

Thanks for showing interest.  Yes, we have several tutorials you can look at.  They are at varying levels of complexity.  The first, is understanding how to use the fortress apis themselves.  For that you can view the javadoc, which can be generated (of course), or you can have a look here:

http://symas.com/javadocs/fortress/

There are coding samples that will help with understanding how to use the fortress apis themselves.  In the fortress source, you can find them under:

basepackage/src/test/java/org/apache/directory/fortress/core/samples

  is a separate ant build to compile and run the samples.  You can also run as one of the targets under the main build:

ant test-samples

Take a look at the quickstart guide for more info on how to invoke the ant targets.

http://directory.apache.org/fortress/quick-start.html

For usage within a container, i.e. if you want the container to call back to fortress during security checks (using java ee security), you can hava a look at these tutorials:

1. base tomcat security: http://symas.com/kb/using-fortress-spring-and-tomcat-to-secure-wicket-6-x-applications/

2. end-to-end tomcat security: http://symas.com/kb/demonstrate-end-to-end-security-enforcement-using-open-source/

HTH,

Shawn

RE: Apache Directory & Apachecon US 2015 Austin

Fortress has recently moved to Apache Directory as sub-project. An important aspect of this move was migrating internal Fortress data access calls from UnboundID to Apache LDAP client API. This discussion covers the rationale and results of this effort and includes the results of benchmarks. It provides tips and code that other projects may need for similar migrations. Additionally it will provide info for Netscape/Mozilla LDAP client migration.

6. The Case for a Policy Decision Point inside the Directory - http://events.linuxfoundation.org/cfp/proposals/4828/4085

Performance characteristics of processes change as they get moved around the network. Bound by network io? Move the database daemon to the same tier as the client process. Too much file io? Store the data in memory as opposed to disk. etc… These same options apply for system architecture with respect to security. Location of policy enforcement, decision, and database processes hugely impact the overall welfare of your organization’s computational systems. What happens when we move the policy decision point inside of the directory server? This talk will discuss a proposal to host an RBAC policy decision point (PDP) inside of Apache DS. It will discuss the different options for PDPs along with their associated pros/cons.

Posted by Shawn McKinney <sm...@apache.org>.
Two more for good measure  :-)