Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by ba...@go.com on 2003/04/03 08:20:46 UTC

Using older Xerces JAR

I have an XML parsing application that was working fine using Tomcat 3.2.4
in-process with Apache.
The app. consists of a servlet that receives XML data, parses it and then
generates an XML response.
I had Xerces version 1.4.4 specified in the in-process classpath in
workers.properties.

I have moved to Tomcat 4.1.24 out-of-process and my XML parsing app. no
longer works.
I get a VerifyError each time I try to use the
setErrorHandler(org.xml.sax.ErrorHandler) method.

I have the same Xerces 1.4.4 JAR file in my <webapp>/WEB-INF/lib directory
but I'm not sure if it is being loaded.

I am using JSDK 1.3.

I am stumped by this VerifyError so any help is *greatly* appreciated.

Thanks.

Re: Using older Xerces JAR

Posted by ba...@go.com.
I see that Tomcat has it's own Xerces JAR files (xercesImpl.jar and
xmlParserAPIs.jar) in the $CATALINA_HOME/common/endorsed directory.
It does not seem like a good idea to *replace* those files with my own.
The documentation at
http://jakarta.apache.org/tomcat/tomcat-4.1-doc/class-loader-howto.html
says:
"xerces.jar - The XML parser that is visible by default to Tomcat internal
classes and to web applications. This can be overridden, for a particular
web application, by including your desired parser in /WEB-INF/lib."

I am trying to use my old xerces.jar file in <webapp>/WEB-INF/lib but it
does not get loaded.  It looks like the classes in common/endorsed are used.
The XMLParser class is in the org.apache.xerces.parsers in the Tomcat
xercesImpl.jar file but is in the org.apache.xerces.framework package in
Xerces 1.4.4.  This seems to be the cause of the VerifyError.

Is there any way I can use my old Xerces 1.4.4 JAR file for only this
application?

Is this another documentation bug or am I reading it wrong?
Please help!  These documentation bugs are driving me nuts!

Thanks.

Re: Using older Xerces JAR

Posted by xyber <xy...@bp.geoview.hu>.