Posted to dev@excalibur.apache.org by J Aaron Farr <ja...@gmail.com> on 2005/03/10 22:09:01 UTC

Working on Fortress Platform

Hello.

I'm working on filling in the excalibur/fortress/platform directory.
My idea is to create a distributable for Fortress that when unzipped
would look something like:

   README.txt
   LICENSE.txt
   /bin
      fortress.bat
      fortress.sh
   /conf
      wrapper.conf
      fortress.xconf
      fortress.xlog
   /lib
     *.jar
   /logs

Couple of issues:

1. I'd like to use Java Service Wrapper [1] for launching and include
the binaries for windows and linux.  The license is compatible
(BSD-ish).  However, doing this requires I add the .so and .dll files
to subversion as well as the wrapper.jar since the one on ibiblio is
outdated.

2. I'm going to include fortress-examples-1.2.jar and the distribution
will be setup to start the SwingExample by default.  I'd like to work
on other examples in the future.

Anyway, just wanted to check if anyone had any other plans for this
directory before I commit.  I'm testing the maven build at the moment
and if all goes well I'll commit sometime tomorrow.

--
  jaaron

Re: Working on Fortress Platform

Posted by Markus Wolf <ma...@emedia-solutions-wolf.de>.
Because I was the one who first asks for this Hibernate stuff I would
like to state that I've choosen to go with OJB.
I saw a very simple OJB component in cocoon wich was a good starting
point for me.

Thanks for your effords
Markus Wolf

Posted by J Aaron Farr <ja...@gmail.com>.
On Tue, 15 Mar 2005 23:41:34 -0000, Eric Pugh
<ep...@opensourceconnections.com> wrote:
> Hi guys..
>
> The code moved around..  From I think fulcrum to hibernate and then off
> again.  I can revive it if you want.  There was some sort of issue with
> licensing at apache.  I think that has since been sorted out, so it
> would be good to host it at apache.  Otherwise I guess I could setup
> another tiny sourceforge project?

It seems like it might be a good fit for Fulcrum.

The licensing issue would be that Hibernate uses the LGPL.  There have
been a lot of discussions about this on the legal lists and some
resolution, though I don't know if an "official" decision was made.
I'll look into it.

Posted by Neeme Praks <ne...@apache.org>.

Posted by J Aaron Farr <ja...@gmail.com>.
On Sat, 12 Mar 2005 12:41:42 +0100, Markus Wolf
<ma...@emedia-solutions-wolf.de> wrote:

> >  Speaking of Fortress 1.2, does anyone have any plans yet?
> >
> >  We've only got 2 issues in JIRA. That can't be right. Anyone got
> >  ideas of what needs or wants done for 1.2?
> >
> Where do I find JIRA?

http://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/Dashboard.jspa

There are Excalibur Components and Excalibur Fortress modules
available.  Go ahead and put in your feature requests and bug reports.

> I would like to see some highlevel database components in (I guess this
> belongs to) cornerstone. E.g. something for Hibernate and Apache OJB.
> But I'm not sure if I have enough experience with fortress to start
> contributing code... I'm very new and just have a simple view off it.

You might want to check out some of the components in the Keel
Framework (http://keelframework.org/) which is based on Fortress.

Posted by Markus Wolf <ma...@emedia-solutions-wolf.de>.
> > Anyway, just wanted to check if anyone had any other plans for this
> > directory before I commit. I'm testing the maven build at the
> > moment and if all goes well I'll commit sometime tomorrow.
>
>  Well, it's in there [1]. I'd like to make sure something like this
>  is distributed for a Fortress 1.2 release.

Nice one. :-)

>  Speaking of Fortress 1.2, does anyone have any plans yet?
>
>  We've only got 2 issues in JIRA. That can't be right. Anyone got
>  ideas of what needs or wants done for 1.2?

Where do I find JIRA?
I would like to see some highlevel database components in (I guess this
belongs to) cornerstone. E.g. something for Hibernate and Apache OJB.
But I'm not sure if I have enough experience with fortress to start
contributing code... I'm very new and just have a simple view off it.

Markus

Posted by J Aaron Farr <ja...@gmail.com>.

[1] http://cvs.apache.org/viewcvs.cgi/excalibur/trunk/fortress/platform/?root=Apache-SVN