Posted to user@hbase.apache.org by Gen Liu <ge...@zynga.com> on 2012/08/23 08:06:25 UTC

How to avoid stop-the-world GC for HBase Region Server under big heap size

Hi,

We are running Region Server on big memory machine (70G) and set Xmx=64G.
Most heap is used as block cache for random read.
Stop-the-world GC is killing the region server, but using less heap (16G)
doesn't utilize our machines well.

Is there a concurrent or parallel GC option that won't block all threads?

Any thought is appreciated. Thanks.

Gen Liu

Re: How to avoid stop-the-world GC for HBase Region Server under big heap size

Posted by N Keywal <nk...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

For a possible future, there is as well this to monitor:
http://docs.oracle.com/javase/7/docs/technotes/guides/vm/G1.html
More or less requires JDK 1.7
See HBASE-2039

Cheers,

N.

Posted by J Mohamed Zahoor <jm...@gmail.com>.
Slab cache might help

Posted by Stack <st...@duboce.net>.
On Wed, Aug 22, 2012 at 11:06 PM, Gen Liu <ge...@zynga.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> We are running Region Server on big memory machine (70G) and set Xmx=64G.
> Most heap is used as block cache for random read.
> Stop-the-world GC is killing the region server, but using less heap (16G)
> doesn't utilize our machines well.
>
> Is there a concurrent or parallel GC option that won't block all threads?
>
> Any thought is appreciated. Thanks.

Have you tried tuning the JVM at all?  What are the options that you
are running with?  You have GC logs enabled?   Post a few up on
pastebin?  As Mohamed asks, you've the slab allocator enabled?   What
are your configs like?  How many regions per server?  What size are
they?

St.Ack