Posted to mirrors@apache.org by David Coulthart <da...@columbia.edu> on 2002/11/13 03:28:59 UTC

mirroring jakarta?

I maintain a local mirror (not publically accessible), which carries the
apache software by rsync'ing with www.apache.org::apache-dist.  I've
received a request to mirror jakarta, but I have found that jakarta-dist
is not available via rsync & I don't seem to find any public mirrors
that actually have it either.  I believe I remember reading a thread a
while back about this particular issue, but I wanted to see if there
were any updates on the subject?

The user requesting jakarta specifically noted how slow it is to
retrieve it from apache.org & it seems like this is exactly what a
mirror is supposed to help.  The idea was brought up of using wget to
mirror jakarta.apache.org/builds/, but I don't really want to have to
write the script for this & I'd prefer to save the bandwidth by using
rsync if it all possible.

Thanks,
Dave Coulthart

Re: mirroring jakarta?

Posted by Justin Erenkrantz <je...@apache.org>.
On Fri, Nov 15, 2002 at 01:45:50PM +0000, Thom May wrote:
> Does nagoya run rsync? Just thinking it might be better to sync from there
> rather than hammering daedalus any more than is strictly necessary.
> -Thom

Nah.  Nagoya has massive bandwidths limitations.  We're best off
finding another machine somewhere to be our rsync master.

Hmm.  I'll try to see if I can scrounge up permission for bandwidth
here.  The PHP guys have asked me before about this.  -- justin

Re: mirroring jakarta?

Posted by Pier Fumagalli <pi...@apache.org>.
"Thom May" <th...@positive-internet.com> wrote:

> Does nagoya run rsync?

Yes..

> Just thinking it might be better to sync from there
> rather than hammering daedalus any more than is strictly necessary.

It can be arranged...

    Pier

Re: mirroring jakarta?

Posted by Thom May <th...@positive-internet.com>.

Re: mirroring jakarta?

Posted by jason andrade <ja...@rtfmconsult.com>.
Sign,

Please ignore me Pier.  I just worked out the reason our mirror was not
picking up the jakarta stuff in dist appears to be because i was using
the -rlvCH flags - in particular using -C (ignore cvs stuff) appears to
look at the .cvsignore files and not mirror those directories.. which
wasn't quite what i thought it was going to do.

fixed now.

regards,

-jason

Re: mirroring jakarta?

Posted by Pier Fumagalli <pi...@apache.org>.
On 13/11/02 2:28, "David Coulthart" <da...@columbia.edu> wrote:

> I maintain a local mirror (not publically accessible), which carries the
> apache software by rsync'ing with www.apache.org::apache-dist.  I've
> received a request to mirror jakarta, but I have found that jakarta-dist
> is not available via rsync & I don't seem to find any public mirrors
> that actually have it either.  I believe I remember reading a thread a
> while back about this particular issue, but I wanted to see if there
> were any updates on the subject?
>
> The user requesting jakarta specifically noted how slow it is to
> retrieve it from apache.org & it seems like this is exactly what a
> mirror is supposed to help.  The idea was brought up of using wget to
> mirror jakarta.apache.org/builds/, but I don't really want to have to
> write the script for this & I'd prefer to save the bandwidth by using
> rsync if it all possible.

http://nagoya.apache.org/dist is an RSYNC mirror of Jakarta... (well, of ALL
Apache)... Once I'm over this deadline I'll post more on how to do it...

Though, I believe I posted my scripts on this list few weeks ago (anyone
cares to dig them out?)

    Pier (dead.... LINE)