Posted to dev@accumulo.apache.org by Keith Turner <ke...@deenlo.com> on 2013/02/14 20:13:41 UTC

Branching 1.5

I propose we branch 1.5.  We are passed the feature freeze for 1.5 and
it would be nice to be able to commit some recent contributions to
trunk.

If no one objects I will create the branch Tuesday morning.

Keith

Re: Branching 1.5

Posted by Eric Newton <er...@gmail.com>.
+1

Re: Branching 1.5

Posted by Josh Elser <jo...@gmail.com>.
+1, Ditto

Re: Branching 1.5

Posted by Keith Turner <ke...@deenlo.com>.
I created the 1.5 branch.  Please make 1.5 bug fixes there.

Thanks,

Keith

Re: Branching 1.5

Posted by Christopher <ct...@apache.org>.
+1

Re: Branching 1.5

Posted by David Medinets <da...@gmail.com>.

Re: Branching 1.5

Posted by Billie Rinaldi <bi...@apache.org>.
On Thu, Feb 14, 2013 at 11:20 AM, John Vines <vi...@apache.org> wrote:

> I think we should hold off for a few days, perhaps a week or two, just so
> we have more time for bug squashing without concerns about merging bug
> fixes.
>

> On Thu, Feb 14, 2013 at 2:13 PM, Keith Turner <ke...@deenlo.com> wrote:
>
> > I propose we branch 1.5.  We are passed the feature freeze for 1.5 and
> > it would be nice to be able to commit some recent contributions to
> > trunk.
> >
> > If no one objects I will create the branch Tuesday morning.
> >
> > Keith

John and Keith hashed out their differences in #accumulo.  A summary of
their proposal is that we branch 1.5 now, but hold off on introducing tree
conflicts in trunk (i.e. moving or renaming files or directories) to make
merging easier until 1.5.1 is released.  Presumably there will be a fair
amount of bug fixes (and thus merging) for an x.x.0 release.

Billie

Re: Branching 1.5

Posted by Keith Turner <ke...@deenlo.com>.
On Thu, Feb 14, 2013 at 2:53 PM, John Vines <vi...@apache.org> wrote:
> I just don't understand the urgency to start adding new features to 1.6. If
> there's a standing patch, then we're in great shape for the second we do.
> But once we switch the trunk to 1.6, it does flag a lot of transition work
> to be done (version numbers, purging deprecated code, etc.)

Changing the version numbers will have to be done at some point by
someone.  Its a lot of work for sed, but not much human effort.
Purging deprecated code is something that needs to be considered
before 1.6 is released, not after we branch.

Re: Branching 1.5

Posted by Keith Turner <ke...@deenlo.com>.
On Thu, Feb 14, 2013 at 2:53 PM, John Vines <vi...@apache.org> wrote:
> I just don't understand the urgency to start adding new features to 1.6. If
> there's a standing patch, then we're in great shape for the second we do

>From the perspective of a non-committer I think it would be satisfying
to see your patch applied to svn.  I know when I have submitted
patches to other Apache projects it was satisfying to see it comitted.

I think we should encourage contributions and new feature development
at any point in time.
.

Re: Branching 1.5

Posted by John Vines <vi...@apache.org>.

Re: Branching 1.5

Posted by Keith Turner <ke...@deenlo.com>.

Re: Branching 1.5

Posted by John Vines <vi...@apache.org>.
I think we should hold off for a few days, perhaps a week or two, just so
we have more time for bug squashing without concerns about merging bug
fixes.

On Thu, Feb 14, 2013 at 2:13 PM, Keith Turner <ke...@deenlo.com> wrote:

> I propose we branch 1.5.  We are passed the feature freeze for 1.5 and
> it would be nice to be able to commit some recent contributions to
> trunk.
>
> If no one objects I will create the branch Tuesday morning.
>
> Keith

Re: Branching 1.5

Posted by dl...@comcast.net.
+1