Posted to bsf-user@jakarta.apache.org by "Rony G. Flatscher (Apache)" <ro...@apache.org> on 2008/11/20 18:08:04 UTC

BSF to add a scripting language to OpenOffice.org ...

Hi there,

this year's OpenOffice conference took place in Beijing/Peking at the
beginning of November (at the same time the US Apache conference took
place).

Among the many talks there was one about adding a scripting language to
OpenOffice org (a.k.a. "OOo") using BSF by me, for which the slides are
available online already. [OOo's scripting framework itself is not
implemented in C++ but in Java, therefore BSF fits very nicely into it.]
All the presentations were videotaped and the tapes are supposed to be
made available at the end of November.

Cf. <http://marketing.openoffice.org/ooocon2008/>, resp.
<http://marketing.openoffice.org/ooocon2008/programme/thursday.html>
Thursday presenatations, resp.
<http://marketing.openoffice.org/ooocon2008/programme/thursday_1501.pdf>
the presentation introducing BSF.

Should you contemplate to add your favorite scripting language to OOo
using BSF, you should also look into what you could/should do to ease
programming/scripting OOo. The presentation
<http://marketing.openoffice.org/ooocon2008/programme/thursday_1501.pdf>
stresses the areas in the OOo UNO ("Universal Network Objects", a
coarsley CORBA-like) component architecture for which one should/could
create specific support for a scripting language.

Should you have any questions in this context, just come forward and ask
them.

As you can see, ASF's BSF being a "matured" technology has many
interesting applications...

Regards,

---rony

Re: BSF to add a scripting language to OpenOffice.org ...

Posted by "Rony G. Flatscher (Apache)" <ro...@apache.org>.
Hi there,

just learned that the URL to the second presentation was wrong, here the
correct one:
<http://marketing.openoffice.org/ooocon2008/programme/thursday_1502.pdf>.

Regards,

---rony