Posted to dev@lucene.apache.org by Doug Cutting <cu...@apache.org> on 2004/10/07 21:40:35 UTC

sandbox -> core ?

I propose adding highlighting and more-like-this code to the standard
Lucene jar.

Highlighting is currently in the Sandbox, so folks can find it, but they
have to compile it, generate javadocs themselves, and ensure that it
works with their version of Lucene.  If it's in Lucene's core then it
will be versioned with Lucene releases.

More-like-this lives only in the mail archives:

http://nagoya.apache.org/eyebrowse/ReadMsg?listName=lucene-user@jakarta.apache.org&msgId=1380971

This should at least be added to the Sandbox, and probably to the core.

If these were added to the core then the demo code could easily
incorporate them.  A demo that made better snippets would be nice.

What do folks think?

Doug

Re: sandbox -> core ?

Posted by Doug Cutting <cu...@apache.org>.
Otis Gospodnetic wrote:
> I like this idea.  I don't care so much about 1 or more CVS
> repositories, as much as separate Jars, so if we can make
> analyzers-1.4.2.jar and highlighter-1.4.2.jar along lucene-1.4.2.jar,
> that would be ideal, in my opinion.

A minor point: we should prefix all the jar file names with 'lucene-'.

Also, I think the javadoc should include everything, not just the core.
  That way folks can easily see what's available.  We could group things
to make it clear what's core and what's in auxiliary jars:

http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.4.2/docs/tooldocs/solaris/javadoc.html#group

So we might have groups for Core, Analyzers, etc.

However, I still think a separate jar for the highlighter is overkill.

Doug

Re: sandbox -> core ?

Posted by Otis Gospodnetic <ot...@yahoo.com>.
> In general, I'm a proponent of bundling as much as possible into a
> single CVS tree and build procedure, since it makes it much easier to
>
> keep things synchronized.  If folks feel the jar is too big, then we
> can
> always build these into a separate jar.  I'd also vote to put
> analyzers
> in the same CVS tree and under the top-level build.xml, for the same
> reason.  If we like, we could put them each in subdirectories of
> src/analyzers, and have each built as a separate jar.  Thoughts?

I like this idea.  I don't care so much about 1 or more CVS
repositories, as much as separate Jars, so if we can make
analyzers-1.4.2.jar and highlighter-1.4.2.jar along lucene-1.4.2.jar,
that would be ideal, in my opinion.

> The sandbox should be for experimental stuff.  Stuff that's proven
> widely useful should go into the main tree and get released along
> with
> every Lucene release.

True.

Otis

Re: sandbox -> core ?

Posted by Doug Cutting <cu...@apache.org>.
Erik Hatcher wrote:
> It would be nice if the Sandbox components were versioned and released
> along with the core - perhaps this would be a sufficient enough
> solution?  But, alas, I have no free time currently to devote to this
> effort.

That's precisely the reason to add these to the main CVS tree: if
they're somewhere else then they simply won't get versioned and released
in parallel with the core, while if they're in the main CVS tree this
will happen with no extra effort.

Re: sandbox -> core ?

Posted by Erik Hatcher <er...@ehatchersolutions.com>.
I'm on the fence with adding things to the core.  I'm not opposed if
others are in favor of it.  But if the new features aren't intimately
tied to the core then it's more of an add-on.  Highlighter is
incredibly useful though, and nicely done!

It would be nice if the Sandbox components were versioned and released
along with the core - perhaps this would be a sufficient enough
solution?  But, alas, I have no free time currently to devote to this
effort.

	Erik

Re: sandbox -> core ?

Posted by Otis Gospodnetic <ot...@yahoo.com>.
Honestly, I still think that Highlighter and such belong to the
Sandbox.
I think we can make Sandbox components very easy to use if we just
provide a Jar of each component that goes along with each Lucene
version.

MoreLikeThis sounds like it could go into the core.

Otis