Posted to jetspeed-dev@portals.apache.org by David Sean Taylor <da...@bluesunrise.com> on 2004/02/03 06:51:41 UTC

Re: [J2] Service Framework Proposal

On Saturday, January 17, 2004, at 09:33  PM, Jun Yang wrote:

> We thank David Le Strat for doing a great job on the service framework
> proposal.
>
> Here is what we'd like to suggest to add to the proposal:
>
> 1. Cornerstone JMX
>
> picoextras/jmx supports registering pico components as JMX components
> in a special JMX-aware pico container directly with an MBean Server.
> Cornerstone JMX is designed for a different purpose: JMX-enable any
> object with no JMX knowledge.  When a component is configured to be
> JMX-enabled, all its states are managed by a standard JMX adapter (The
> name "adapter" maybe misleading to someone unfamiliar with JMX. It's
> basically a tool that allows you to manage JMX components).  A
> developer doesn't need to know anything about JMX to make his/her
> components manageable by JMX.  We generate MBeans dynamically.
>
> We can make Cornerstone JMX a self-contained package to be used in
> Jetspeed so that all services are JMX-enabled with ease without a
> special pico container.

+1 on moving out Cornerstone's JMX into its own module

> 2. Cornerstone Customization
>
> The forte of the Cornerstone Framework is its ability to support
> customizations in many dimensions (component, relationship, flow and
> preservation over upgrades).  Right now it supports type 2 IoC.  But
> we can change it slightly to support both type 2 and type 3 (same as
> pico) while maintaining the same configuration format.  We can make
> the implementation manager part of Cornerstone a self-contained
> package as an approach to wiring pico components based on
> configuration to give pico components the following capabilities:
>
> - Configuration-based (properties files or database) wiring.
> - Finer-grain configuration than that picoextras/script's XML solution
> allows (per component configuration file vs. one file per container),
> which is important in supporting the next 2 points.
> - Multiple "planes" of configuration with user defined order of
> override.
> - Preservation of customization over upgrades.

I think we should get started on moving Jetspeed to the new service
architecture now.
I am ready to help out.
My vote is +1 on yours and DLS's combined proposals.

RE: [J2] Service Framework Proposal

Posted by "Suchisubhra Sinha (susinha)" <su...@cisco.com>.
If you need any help  from  me lemme know.

~suchi

We will start implementation now.  Will do Cornerstone JMX first and
then Cornerstone Customization for PicoContainer.

Jun

Posted by Jun Yang <ju...@cisco.com>.

Posted by Emad Benjamin <eb...@cisco.com>.
At 08:17 AM 2/9/2004 -0700, BaTien Duong wrote:
>Jun Yang wrote:
>
>>Cornerstone JMX is ready for use.
>>
>>I have checked in cornerstone-jmx-demo under jakarta-jetspeed-2.  I will
>>be checking in cornerstone-jmx after I merge the changes into
>>cornerstone.  jetspeed-cornerstone-jmx-1.0.jar is checked in under
>>cornerstone-jmx-demo as a temporary measure to let the demo run.  Read
>>how-to-run.txt.  The demo shows how simple it is to use Cornerstone JMX
>>to put any object under the management of JMX.
>
>Hello Jun
>
>It's great. There are so many excellent things going on with open
>technologies and i cannot find time to get back to J2 and Pluto. Anyway, i
>have a quick and simple question regarding to JMX implementation. Would
>you please shed some light on the current implementation in relation to
>standard JMX in J2SE 1.5

I did a quick review of the JMX APIs in J2SE1.5 and I see that they have a
good wide coverage of the JMX set, but I couldn't see where they have made
it easier for a java.lang.Object to be auto-JMX-ed.  I think long term we
can compliment the J2Se1.5 by adding our solution as a helper class.

Here is some background information:

http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.5.0/docs/relnotes/features.html

http://www.developer.com/java/data/article.php/2213791 <--- article on what
Sun plans to do

http://java.sun.com/developer/technicalArticles/releases/j2se15/ <---
scroll down to manageability

Posted by BaTien Duong <ba...@dbgroups.com>.
Hello Jun and Emad

Thanks.

BaTien
DBGROUPS

Posted by Jun Yang <ju...@cisco.com>.
Hi BaTien,

Posted by BaTien Duong <ba...@dbgroups.com>.

Posted by Jun Yang <ju...@cisco.com>.
Thanks, David!  Will let you know if we need any help.

Jun

[J2] OJB Plugin Issue

Posted by David Le Strat <dl...@yahoo.com>.
I committed the security service code and have been
running in issues with the OJB plugin.  I am not sure
why but if I use OJBPB, the security service tests
fail, but pass if I use OJBODMG.  However, when I use
OJBODMG, the following test failed.

<!-- Excluded due to persistence plugin issues -->

<exclude>org/apache/jetspeed/deployment/TestSimpleDeployment.java</exclude>

<exclude>org/apache/jetspeed/services/registry/TestRegistry.java</exclude>

<exclude>org/apache/jetspeed/tools/pamanager/TestPortletDescriptor.java</exclude>
<!-- End Excluded due to persistence plugin issues -->

I excluded them from running for now (I wanted to
validated my commit).  Any ideas on what could be
wrong?

Regards,

David.

CVS Commit Question

Posted by David Le Strat <dl...@yahoo.com>.
Hello there,

Just wanted to quickly ask a question to this list to
see if any of you knew how to work around a problem I
am running into when trying to commit code.

On commit action, I am getting a "Pre-commit check
failed error", I can create directories fine but the
above error is thrown when trying to commit files.
Any suggestion?

Best regards,

David Le Strat.

Re: [J2] Service Framework Proposal