Posted to users@netbeans.apache.org by Thomas Wolf <tj...@gmail.com> on 2020/08/27 00:59:21 UTC

Netbeans installer on macOS Big Sur can't find JDK

Hey,
Has anyone had this issue?

I haven’t used Netbeans on my home mac for awhile.  I recently installed the macOS Big Sur beta and when I tried running my Netbeans 11.3 from the dock as usual, I get a warning (see first attachment) about the JDK being missing.  I said, hm - that’s odd - I have multiple different Java versions and Terminal shows me pointing to v14:

twolf@MacBook-Pro ~ % java -version
java version "14.0.2" 2020-07-14
Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (build 14.0.2+12-46)
Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM (build 14.0.2+12-46, mixed mode, sharing)

twolf@MacBook-Pro ~ % ls /Library/Java/JavaVirtualMachines/
jdk-12.0.2.jdk/   jdk1.7.0_51.jdk/  jdk1.8.0_31.jdk/
jdk-14.0.2.jdk/   jdk1.8.0_25.jdk/  zulu-8.jdk/

I couldn’t figure it out, so I figured - good time to install 12.0.  Downloaded the 12.0 installer and ran that.  But the installer fails itself - also because it can’t find the JDK! See second screen shot.

Does anyone know what's changed in Big Sur that’s causing Netbeans to no longer find the JDK?  Any info is much appreciated.
Tom

RE: Netbeans installer on macOS Big Sur can't find JDK

Posted by pe...@webparity.net.
All,

So, I think my problem is fixed! Why? I installed 12.3 and the issue below is gone.

What did you fix? I’m happy again!

Thank you

Regards,

Peter Borreggine

Owner and Developer

Angular/Bootstrap/NodeJS/Databases/HTML5/CSS3/Responsive Web Design/SEO

WebParity.net <http://webparity.net/>

A Service Connected Disabled Veteran Owned Business

WA State License: 603-501-609

360-830-8926 C

“Lead, Follow or Get Out of the Way…”

Was a coined phrase (Moto) of the 3701 BMT Squadron in Lakeland AFB long before Lee Iacocca ever used it.

This email message is for the sole use of the intended recipient(s) and may contain confidential and privileged information. If you are not the intended recipient, please contact the sender and destroy all copies of the original message and its attachments. Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure, or distribution is prohibited.

Posted by Scott Palmer <sw...@gmail.com>.
Yes, this is a bit odd.  I thought we had the issues with the changes to
/usr/libexec/java_home worked out.  Frustrating.  I wish I was less busy
when this was being worked on for 12.2 as I would have tested it more
thoroughly, especially since I was one complaining about it.  I did
successfully run the NB installer, but I'm guessing now that my environment
wasn't sanitized properly before I did that.

In any case, setting global environment variables on macOS is a bit of a
pain.  It doesn't work at all for the path for example (apparently that is
considered a security risk).   I do use a utility added to my system
preferences that allows configuring of global environment variables.  That
is where I set JAVA_HOME so it is at least set to something valid for GUI
apps. But Like Geerjan says, I always configure it explicitly in my
netbeans.conf file as well.

We will just have to give that macOS installer experience more attention
before the next release.

Scott

Posted by Thomas Wolf <tj...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Geertjan Wielenga <ge...@googlemail.com.INVALID>.

Posted by Thomas Wolf <tj...@gmail.com>.
 Hi Scott,

Posted by Scott Palmer <sw...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Franck Arnulfo <fr...@gmail.com>.
JAVA_HOME is valid:

--
Franck

RE: Netbeans installer on macOS Big Sur can't find JDK

Posted by pe...@webparity.net.
Sorry,

Posted by Geertjan Wielenga <ge...@googlemail.com.INVALID>.

Posted by Scott Palmer <sw...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Franck Arnulfo <fr...@gmail.com>.
I've got the same issue:

Netbeans 12.2 installer can't find JDK on macOS BigSur with JDK installed
with SDKMAN.
[image: image.png]

Java is correctly installed, even the /usr/libexec/java_home is correct :

farnulfo@MacBook-Pro ~ % java -version
openjdk version "11.0.9.1" 2020-11-04
OpenJDK Runtime Environment AdoptOpenJDK (build 11.0.9.1+1)
OpenJDK 64-Bit Server VM AdoptOpenJDK (build 11.0.9.1+1, mixed mode)
farnulfo@MacBook-Pro ~ % which java
/Users/farnulfo/.sdkman/candidates/java/current/bin/java
farnulfo@MacBook-Pro ~ % /usr/libexec/java_home
/Users/farnulfo/.sdkman/candidates/java/current
farnulfo@MacBook-Pro ~ %

The zip distribution of Netbeans 12.2 run fine with netbeans/bin/netbeans

On Thu, Aug 27, 2020 at 3:19 AM Thomas Wolf <tj...@gmail.com> wrote:

> > On Aug 26, 2020, at 8:59 PM, Thomas Wolf <tj...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > Hey,
> > Has anyone had this issue?
> >
> > I haven’t used Netbeans on my home mac for awhile.  I recently installed
> the macOS Big Sur beta and when I tried running my Netbeans 11.3 from the
> dock as usual, I get a warning (see first attachment) about the JDK being
> missing.  I said, hm - that’s odd - I have multiple different Java versions
> and Terminal shows me pointing to v14:
> >
> > twolf@MacBook-Pro ~ % java -version
> > java version "14.0.2" 2020-07-14
> > Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (build 14.0.2+12-46)
> > Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM (build 14.0.2+12-46, mixed mode,
> sharing)
> >
> > twolf@MacBook-Pro ~ % ls /Library/Java/JavaVirtualMachines/
> > jdk-12.0.2.jdk/   jdk1.7.0_51.jdk/  jdk1.8.0_31.jdk/
> > jdk-14.0.2.jdk/   jdk1.8.0_25.jdk/  zulu-8.jdk/
> >
> > I couldn’t figure it out, so I figured - good time to install 12.0.
> Downloaded the 12.0 installer and ran that.  But the installer fails itself
> - also because it can’t find the JDK! See second screen shot.
> >

> Well, I finally did get my old 11.3 version to work by modifying
> /Applications/NetBeans/Apache NetBeans
> 11.3.app/Contents/Resources/NetBeans/netbeans/etc/netbeans.conf and
> manually setting the netbeans_jdkhome variable to one of the JDKs I have.
>
> But how do I get the Netbeans 12 installer to work?
>
> Thanks again,
> Tom

Franck

Re: Netbeans installer on macOS Big Sur can't find JDK

Posted by Thomas Wolf <tj...@gmail.com>.