Posted to dev@sling.apache.org by Robert Munteanu <ro...@apache.org> on 2015/10/06 22:10:44 UTC

Sling 8 release checklist

Hi,

I've started gathering the tasks that we need to do to call Sling 8 'released'.

  https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SLING-5095

The idea is to list all issues as sub-tasks, and then possibly link
the sub-tasks to the implementation jira issues.

So, if you have anything which you think _must_ get in Sling 8, please
add subtasks to SLING-5095 and I will wait for them to be done before
starting the release.

The current plan is to start the release vote early next week, but a
couple of days of delay will not hurt.

Cheers,

Robert

Re: Sling 8 release checklist

Posted by Robert Munteanu <ro...@apache.org>.
On Wed, Oct 7, 2015 at 9:01 AM, Carsten Ziegeler <cz...@apache.org> wrote:
> We have several of snapshot references in launchpad. What should we do
> with them? Revert to latest release, release them?

Here's the list, for completeness

   org.apache.sling/org.apache.sling.adapter/2.1.5-SNAPSHOT
   org.apache.sling/org.apache.sling.auth.form/1.0.7-SNAPSHOT
   org.apache.sling/org.apache.sling.engine/2.4.3-SNAPSHOT
   org.apache.sling/org.apache.sling.jcr.contentloader/2.1.11-SNAPSHOT
   org.apache.sling/org.apache.sling.jcr.resource/2.5.7-SNAPSHOT
   org.apache.sling/org.apache.sling.scripting.jsp/2.1.7-SNAPSHOT
   org.apache.sling/org.apache.sling.scripting.jsp.taglib/2.2.5-SNAPSHOT
   org.apache.sling/org.apache.sling.scripting.sightly/1.0.5-SNAPSHOT
   org.apache.sling/org.apache.sling.scripting.sightly.js.provider/1.0.11-SNAPSHOT
   org.apache.sling/org.apache.sling.scripting.sightly.models.provider/1.0.0-SNAPSHOT
   org.apache.sling/org.apache.sling.scripting.sightly.repl/1.0.1-SNAPSHOT
   org.apache.sling/org.apache.sling.servlets.resolver/2.3.7-SNAPSHOT
   org.apache.sling/org.apache.sling.commons.json/2.0.11-SNAPSHOT
   org.apache.sling/org.apache.sling.jcr.webdav/2.3.1-SNAPSHOT
   org.apache.sling/org.apache.sling.jcr.jackrabbit.usermanager/2.2.3-SNAPSHOT
   org.apache.sling/org.apache.sling.commons.logservice/1.0.5-SNAPSHOT
   org.apache.sling/org.apache.sling.jcr.oak.server/0.0.2-SNAPSHOT

The only one that I see as as 'blockers' are the JCR Oak Server and
Jackrabbit UserManager releases ( but I'm not familiar with the
not-yet-released changes from other bundles ).

If there are other changes that must be in Sling 8 (marked as
sub-tasks of SLING-5095 0 then I will wait but for the others I will
revert to the latest releases.

Robert

Posted by Robert Munteanu <ro...@apache.org>.
On Wed, 2015-10-07 at 17:15 +0530, Carsten Ziegeler wrote:
> Thanks Robert!
>
> And sorry for breaking the build by downgrading some bundles. It
> seems
> we can handle the amount of releases anyways :)

Yup, I think we can do the releases :-) And it's reassuring to see that
we have proper tests for newly added features.

Robert

Posted by Carsten Ziegeler <cz...@apache.org>.
Thanks Robert!

Posted by Robert Munteanu <ro...@apache.org>.

Posted by Robert Munteanu <ro...@apache.org>.
On Wed, 2015-10-07 at 11:46 +0530, Carsten Ziegeler wrote:
> I've switched to the latest release for those where I'm sure.
> I'Ve also added releasing auth forms to the task list

Cool, it's better to switch ahead of time rather than right before the
release.

This has shown that adapter and commons.json have integration tests
added for the new, unreleased, features. Those tests now fail

-
org.apache.sling.launchpad.webapp.integrationtest.servlets.post.SlingDa
teValuesTest.testDateTimezones
-
 org.apache.sling.launchpad.webapp.integrationtest.issues.SLING2522Test
.testThatServicesWhichLikeAdapterFactoriesArentShowInTheW

I think the easiest path is to release these bundles as well, rather
than mess with the tests. I will add tasks + start release votes for
these two bundles as well.

Robert

Posted by Carsten Ziegeler <cz...@apache.org>.

Posted by Carsten Ziegeler <cz...@apache.org>.
Am 08.10.15 um 00:25 schrieb Robert Munteanu:
> On Wed, 2015-10-07 at 11:40 +0530, Carsten Ziegeler wrote:
>> - engine - we can go with 2.4.2
>
> So downgrading to 2.4.2 again leads to IT failures, in this case
>
> org.apache.sling.launchpad.webapp.integrationtest.VersionParameterTest.
> testVersionParameter

Ah, right, yes I think we should release 2.4.4

Regards
Carsten

Posted by Robert Munteanu <ro...@apache.org>.
On Wed, 2015-10-07 at 11:40 +0530, Carsten Ziegeler wrote:
> - engine - we can go with 2.4.2

So downgrading to 2.4.2 again leads to IT failures, in this case

org.apache.sling.launchpad.webapp.integrationtest.VersionParameterTest.
testVersionParameter

Looks like another release vote coming up for the engine bundle. Since
I'm not terribly familiar with it and there's large-ish list of changes
for Engine 2.4.4 [1] I'm going to defer starting the release process
until tomorrow, just in case we need some last-minute fixes or someone
thinks we should not include Engine 2.4.2.

Robert

[1]: https://issues.apache.org/jira/issues/?jql=project%20%3D%20SLING%2
0AND%20fixVersion%20%3D%20%22Engine%202.4.4%22%20ORDER%20BY%20updated%2
0DESC%2C%20priority%20DESC%2C%20created%20ASC

Re: Sling 8 release checklist

Posted by Carsten Ziegeler <cz...@apache.org>.
Looking at the list, I think:

Posted by Carsten Ziegeler <cz...@apache.org>.