Posted to dev@isis.apache.org by Dan Haywood <da...@haywood-associates.co.uk> on 2012/11/05 00:29:02 UTC

[VOTE] move to using git rather than svn for Isis code

The idea of using git rather than svn for the Isis codebase has been
discussed several times in the past.  Now that we have graduated, it seems
a good time to formally vote on whether we want to make this change.

There are three options available:

1. carry on using svn.  (In this case, I will carry on maintaining an
informal read-only copy on github as a convenience to contributors who
prefer to create patches using git)
2. use git.apache.org as a read-only clone, with svn remaining as the
master.  (This is similar to 1, though git.apache.org is a more formal copy
way of doing this)
3. use git.apache.org as a read/write master, and retire use of svn for the
Isis codebase.

As usual, this vote will be open for at least 72 hours.  Please indicate
your preference as (1), (2) or (3).   I have cc'ed to
users@isis.apache.orgin order to elicit the widest number of views.

Thanks
Dan
Isis PMC Chair

Re: [VOTE] move to using git rather than svn for Isis code

Posted by Matthew Adams <ma...@matthewadams.me>.
3

--
mailto:matthew@matthewadams.me
skype:matthewadams12

Re: [VOTE] move to using git rather than svn for Isis code

Posted by Matthew Adams <ma...@matthewadams.me>.
3

Posted by Dan Haywood <da...@haywood-associates.co.uk>.

Posted by Dan Haywood <da...@haywood-associates.co.uk>.

Posted by Robert Matthews <rm...@nakedobjects.org>.
Who would dare contradict Linus and suggest Subversion is better :-) .
It'll take some time to get use to a new model and tool, but it's all
rage these day with many people using it.

3 for me.

Rob

Posted by Mohammad Nour El-Din <no...@gmail.com>.
Oh sorry

On Tue, Nov 13, 2012 at 10:59 AM, Dan Haywood
<da...@haywood-associates.co.uk>wrote:

> Nour, this was concluded... see [RESULT] thread [1]
>
> I've also raised the infra ticket [2], waiting for infra to action.
>  Because of workload, they indicate might take >= 1 week.

Then it is time to help :D I will start looking into this soon

--
Thanks
- Mohammad Nour

Re: [VOTE] move to using git rather than svn for Isis code

Posted by Dan Haywood <da...@haywood-associates.co.uk>.

Posted by Mohammad Nour El-Din <no...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Kevin Meyer <ke...@kmz.co.za>.
3

Posted by Robert Matthews <rm...@nakedobjects.org>.

Posted by Vangjel Stavro <va...@gmail.com>.
My vote is for option 3

Re: [VOTE] move to using git rather than svn for Isis code

Posted by Mohammad Nour El-Din <no...@gmail.com>.
I am open for both and in case we choose to use git I will help setting it
up and I have the required rights to do so

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S3
Apologies for any typos

dan@haywood-associates.co.uk>wrote:

> >> yup, couchdb use git for their codebase, and svn as the backing store
for
> >> their site (using Apache's CMS).  I suggest we follow the same path.
> >>
> >> When I IRC'ed with <danielsh> on infra yesterday, it was kinda like,
"we
> >> just need to know if you are on svn or git..".  There are further docs
here
> >> [1].
> >>
> >> [1] https://git-wip-us.apache.org/

If