Posted to docs-dev@perl.apache.org by allan <la...@inet.uni2.dk> on 2002/03/31 12:22:43 UTC

logo_top - blend - camel - curve

hi everyone,

please feedback on this mail, thanks.
i have taken the liberty to enclose a small tar archive
because my ftp client and my internet-connection is really poor.

the html file enclosed should run out of the box, meaning
that the concept should be visible in your browser (please
only look at the top area, i didn't enclose all the other
images as they are beside the point here) - the concept beeing
what i consider to be the best soloution all in all, in how
to integrate the new logo with our current design. it's in
fact so simple i can't believe we didn't think of it before
:). it blends the gray background color in the left area (of
the body background image) into the white at the top, so
that the new logo sits on a white background (which it
really should, partly because of the gray colour in the
wording "mod"). not only do i think it look like a good
solution, i think it looks pretty cool for a website.

so what i would like to know from you is the result of these:

$a = "do you like the idea of that concept?";
$b = ($a) ? (eval("is it rendering ok on any
browser/system?")) : (-2);

i have checked it in on macintosh, i get these:

$a = +2;
my @browser = qw(ns4, ns6.2, opera5, ie5, ie5.0);
foreach (@browser) {
  $b = +2;
}

please supply a screenshot if it does look terrible.

* feather debate
it would be cool somehow to integrate the apache feather in
the logo area. i thought maybe bend it with the curve
leading to the breadcrumb - i'm not capable of doing that.
anyone like to try?

it could also sit next to the camel, but that destroys the
nice simplicity of the came lout there i think.

otherwise, i think maybe we should just put the feather
below the ad-section (books). what do you people think?

thanks
./allan

Re: logo_top - blend - camel - curve

Posted by Stas Bekman <st...@stason.org>.
Bill Moseley wrote:
> On Sun, 31 Mar 2002 18:22:43 +0800 allan wrote:
>
> My +1 is for the first curved line without the gray background.  I think
> the idea of the sidebar background was to separate the content from the
> menus, but not there's that curved line, so the line is enough to make
> that separation.  To me it looks cleaner without the background.

+1 on this snapshot, very nice work, Allan!

linux tests:
------------
konqueror +1 (a known issue with the camel disposition)
mozilla   +2
NS4       +2
opera     +2

>>* feather debate
>>it would be cool somehow to integrate the apache feather in
>>the logo area. i thought maybe bend it with the curve
>>leading to the breadcrumb - i'm not capable of doing that.
>>anyone like to try?
>

> I don't think that a new design needs to incorporate every part of the
> old design.
>
> Your use of the camel off to the side is clever and fun.  If the feather
> doesn't fit, the that's fine.  I think people will get the Apache
> connection.  I wouldn't force it in some place just for the sake of
> having it.  I don't like the idea of too many competing logos.

I suggest the left bottom corner leaving the colored version of the
feather.
it's "natural" to see the feather at the ground level :)

If we go with Jonathan's idea to put it on the right bottom corner we
may need to add another curve in the bottom of the page.

Re: logo_top - blend - camel - curve

Posted by allan <la...@inet.uni2.dk>.
Bill Moseley wrote:

> On Sun, 31 Mar 2002 18:22:43 +0800 allan wrote:
>
> My +1 is for the first curved line without the gray background.  I think
> the idea of the sidebar background was to separate the content from the
> menus, but not there's that curved line, so the line is enough to make
> that separation.  To me it looks cleaner without the background.

yes, the original thought of the introduction of the curve
was indeed to get rid of the gray background (because the
new logo simply don't look very good on that background).
however, i discovered agree with pther people that the gray
background do a clearer seperation of menus vs content.
therefore the introduction of the blending between white and
gray close to the logo to maintain the gray area and to
maintain a white background for the new logo. the curve is
in that respect, only a small elegant feature, and could, if
people (or certain browsers) don't like it can be discarded completely.

> But they both look fine.

cool :)

Posted by Bill Moseley <mo...@hank.org>.

--
Bill Moseley

Re: logo_top - blend - camel - curve

Posted by allan <la...@inet.uni2.dk>.
allan wrote:
> so what i would like to know from you is the result of these:
>
> $a = "do you like the idea of that concept?";
> $b = ($a) ? (eval("is it rendering ok on any
> browser/system?")) : (-2);

win 98;
ie5.0+2

Posted by "Jonathan M. Hollin" <ne...@digital-word.com>.
>so what i would like to know from you is the result of these:
>
>$a = "do you like the idea of that concept?";

+1

>$b = ($a) ? (eval("is it rendering ok on any
>browser/system?")) : (-2);

+1 (IE 6 on Win 2K)

>* feather debate
>it would be cool somehow to integrate the apache feather in
>the logo area. i thought maybe bend it with the curve
>leading to the breadcrumb - i'm not capable of doing that.
>anyone like to try?

I have tried various locations with an image editor here and I can't get
it to look decent anywhere.  The problem, I think, is that the logo
consists of mainly primary colours and is too bright for our
conservative design.

I think therefore, that the feather should be converted to a grayscale
image before it is integrated and I'm going to play around with this
idea.

>it could also sit next to the camel, but that destroys the
>nice simplicity of the came lout there i think.

I saw a page once that had a grayscale Apache feather as a background
image...  How about we use a similar background image for the
"perl.apache.org" menu box?  We could scale the image and position it in
the bottom-right corner of the box...

Jonathan M. Hollin - WYPUG Co-ordinator

West Yorkshire Perl User Group
http://wypug.pm.org/
http://wypug.digital-word.com/

Re: logo_top - blend - camel - curve

Posted by Per Einar Ellefsen <pe...@skynet.be>.
At 12:22 31.03.2002, allan wrote:
>so what i would like to know from you is the result of these:
>
>$a = "do you like the idea of that concept?";

+2. Looks very good. If it doesn't create any rendering problems, I'm ok
with it.

>$b = ($a) ? (eval("is it rendering ok on any
>browser/system?")) : (-2);

WinXP:
+2 for Opera 6.1, Mozilla 0.9.9, IE 6.0.
Linux:
+2 (as to what is possible in a console) on lynx and links (so it doesn't
add any problems... that's good)

>* feather debate
>it would be cool somehow to integrate the apache feather in
>the logo area. i thought maybe bend it with the curve
>leading to the breadcrumb - i'm not capable of doing that.
>anyone like to try?
>
>it could also sit next to the camel, but that destroys the
>nice simplicity of the came lout there i think.
>
>otherwise, i think maybe we should just put the feather
>below the ad-section (books). what do you people think?

I agree that the feather should fit *somewhere*, but I'm not quite sure
where. You definitely shouldn't disturb the camel, as it has such a good
look right there. Maybe Jonathan's suggestion is worth going for.

--
Per Einar Ellefsen
per.einar@skynet.be

RE: logo_top - blend - camel - curve