Posted to docs@httpd.apache.org by Joshua Slive <jo...@slive.ca> on 2002/10/16 16:29:10 UTC

Re: cvs commit: httpd-2.0/docs/manual/style/xsl common.xsl directiveindex.xsl moduleindex.xsl quickreference.xsl sitemap.xsl synopsis.xsl

Great!  Thanks for taking care of this.  Some comments below.

nd@apache.org wrote:

>   required changes to include the obsolete stuff.
>   - new entries in en.xml
>   - sidebar for moduleindex
>   - new <hint> element for modulesynopsis

I don't see the point of that.  The same info is available in
<compatibility>, and I really want to try to minimize the number of
different tags.

>   - status attribute for <directive> and <module> in order to
>     create correct links (status="obsolete" inserts an 'obs_'
>     before the module file name in the href)

Why are we renaming the files at all?  It seems to me they can simply
remain mod_access, mod_auth, etc.  The information that they are
obsolete is contained in the <status>.  We should not duplicate that
information in the filename.

Joshua.

Posted by Joshua Slive <jo...@slive.ca>.
On Fri, 18 Oct 2002, André Malo wrote:
> I was going to discuss some of the issues, but I think it's not worth to
> waste our time with this stuff ;-) - because it seems, the direction
> we're going is the new versioning scheme. So I would finally suggest two
> points:
>
> - revert the auth docs changes in the /docs-2.0/ (remove the new
>   modules, move the old ones to the place they'd ever been)
> - prepare a 2.1 (2.2? don't know, what's the state now...) documentation
>   tree, which goes under /docs-2.[12]/
>
> What d'ye think about?

I'd say just wait.  The chances are that what you suggest will be what
happens eventually, but there is no point to a bunch of work now that may
need to be re-reveresed later.

Joshua.

Posted by André Malo <nd...@perlig.de>.
* Joshua Slive wrote:

[...]

[sorry for the stringy discussion at the moment; the time, you now...]

> Of course, this whole discussion might be moot if we go with creating
> 2.1 and 2.2.  It would solve all these problems quite cleanly.

I was going to discuss some of the issues, but I think it's not worth to
waste our time with this stuff ;-) - because it seems, the direction
we're going is the new versioning scheme. So I would finally suggest two
points:

- revert the auth docs changes in the /docs-2.0/ (remove the new
  modules, move the old ones to the place they'd ever been)
- prepare a 2.1 (2.2? don't know, what's the state now...) documentation
  tree, which goes under /docs-2.[12]/

What d'ye think about?

nd
--
$_=q?tvc!uif)%*|#Bopuifs!A`#~tvc!Xibu)%*|qsjou#Kvtu!A`#~tvc!KBQI!)*|~
tvc!ifmm)%*|#Qfsm!A`#~tvc!jt)%*|(Ibdlfs(~  # What the hell is JAPH? ;

Posted by Joshua Slive <jo...@slive.ca>.
André Malo wrote:

>>>  - new <hint> element for modulesynopsis
>>
>>I don't see the point of that.  The same info is available in
>><compatibility>, and I really want to try to minimize the number of
>>different tags.
>
> I like the idea of Will Rowe of putting a hint (which says, when and
> perhaps why) on the index page. The <compatibility> content is not
> really the right text to do so. And I found no good existing place where
> such a "hint" could be stored. Hmm. Alternatives are welcome :)

I really don't think it is necessary to clutter the index page with that
info.  The module is obsolete, so people shouldn't need to know much
about it.  And more information is simply a click away.

If I was going to be adding more stuff to the index page, it would be
<status> itself.

>>Why are we renaming the files at all?  It seems to me they can simply
>>remain mod_access, mod_auth, etc.
>

> but mod_auth_digest.

Perfect.  mod_auth_digest isn't obsolete.  There are simply some changes
in the directives which should be documented in the module.  There is no
reason to keep the old version of the docs around.

>>The information that they are
>>obsolete is contained in the <status>.  We should not duplicate that
>>information in the filename.
>
> I guess there are arguments both for it and against it. My intention was
> to make *very* apparent that the particular module was removed/replaced.
> Even I would go further and label the old urls (except for
> mod_auth_digest.html ;-( ) with a 410 status. (which would also catch
> any links set to the files yet.)

In my opinion, changing the filenames needlessly breaks URLs to files,
needlessly adds complexity to the xslt, and is just overall ugly.

I feel fairly strongly about both of these issues (and especially the
latter), but if other people disagree, please speak up.

Posted by André Malo <nd...@perlig.de>.
* Joshua Slive wrote:

> nd@apache.org wrote:
>
>>   - new <hint> element for modulesynopsis
>
> I don't see the point of that.  The same info is available in
> <compatibility>, and I really want to try to minimize the number of
> different tags.

I like the idea of Will Rowe of putting a hint (which says, when and
perhaps why) on the index page. The <compatibility> content is not
really the right text to do so. And I found no good existing place where
such a "hint" could be stored. Hmm. Alternatives are welcome :)

>>   - status attribute for <directive> and <module> in order to
>>     create correct links (status="obsolete" inserts an 'obs_'
>>     before the module file name in the href)
>
> Why are we renaming the files at all?  It seems to me they can simply
> remain mod_access, mod_auth, etc.

but mod_auth_digest.

> The information that they are
> obsolete is contained in the <status>.  We should not duplicate that
> information in the filename.

I guess there are arguments both for it and against it. My intention was
to make *very* apparent that the particular module was removed/replaced.
Even I would go further and label the old urls (except for
mod_auth_digest.html ;-( ) with a 410 status. (which would also catch
any links set to the files yet.)

YMMV. I'd very like to hear more opionions about especially from user's
side. I'm actually not sure, what is the right way to handle this
problem.

nd