Posted to solr-user@lucene.apache.org by Kudrettin Güleryüz <ku...@gmail.com> on 2018/08/27 21:17:05 UTC

cloud disk space utilization

Hi,

We have six Solr nodes with ~1TiB disk space on each mounted as ext4. The
indexers sometimes update the collections and create new ones if update
wouldn't be faster than scratch indexing. (up to around 5 million documents
are indexed for each collection) On average there are around 130
collections on this SolrCloud. Collection sizes vary from 1GiB to 150GiB.

Preferences set:

  "cluster-preferences":[{
      "maximize":"freedisk",
      "precision":10}
    ,{
      "minimize":"cores",
      "precision":1}
    ,{
      "minimize":"sysLoadAvg",
      "precision":3}],

* Is it be possible to run out of disk space on one of the nodes while
others would have plenty? I observe some are getting close to ~80%
utilization while others stay at ~60%
* Would this difference be due to collection index size differences or due
to error on my side to come up with a useful policy/preferences?

Thank you

Re: cloud disk space utilization

Posted by Kudrettin Güleryüz <ku...@gmail.com>.
Thank you Shalin. I'll try creating a policy with practically zero effect
for now.

Posted by Shalin Shekhar Mangar <sh...@gmail.com>.

wrote:

> Hi,
>
> We have six Solr nodes with ~1TiB disk space on each mounted as ext4. The
> indexers sometimes update the collections and create new ones if update
> wouldn't be faster than scratch indexing. (up to around 5 million documents
> are indexed for each collection) On average there are around 130
> collections on this SolrCloud. Collection sizes vary from 1GiB to 150GiB.
>
> Preferences set:
>
>   "cluster-preferences":[{
>       "maximize":"freedisk",
>       "precision":10}
>     ,{
>       "minimize":"cores",
>       "precision":1}
>     ,{
>       "minimize":"sysLoadAvg",
>       "precision":3}],
>
> * Is it be possible to run out of disk space on one of the nodes while
> others would have plenty? I observe some are getting close to ~80%
> utilization while others stay at ~60%
> * Would this difference be due to collection index size differences or due
> to error on my side to come up with a useful policy/preferences?
>
> Thank you

Shalin Shekhar Mangar.

Re: cloud disk space utilization

Posted by Walter Underwood <wu...@wunderwood.org>.
You need free disk space equal to at least half the minimum sizes of the collections.
You might need more. We have a 23 GB collection in Solr cloud. When we reload all
the content and wait until the end to do a commit, it gets up to 51 GB.

wunder
Walter Underwood
wunder@wunderwood.org

Posted by Kudrettin Güleryüz <ku...@gmail.com>.